Petts wins prizes for Southsea

Jason Prior. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Truro put brakes on Hawks’ title bid

Have your say

Southsea breezed into the next round of the Len Day Cup as the division two side enjoyed an 8-1 thrashing of division one Horndean United at Cowplain.

Dan Petts helped himself to four goals for the victors, while Brad Sanders hit a hat-trick.

Southsea had a great early chance when defender Matt Hickley waltzed through the Horndean defence but keeper Rob Norris was equal to his attempted lob.

Southsea’s bright start continued with Petts seeing his angled drive come back off the post.

His side were ahead on 10 minutes, though. Danny Carter broke down the right and his far-post cross was headed in by an unmarked Sanders.

But Horndean were level within two minutes. Mike McCready won the ball well in midfield, passed to Lewis Charlton and he rounded the keeper and squeezed the ball past covering defenders.

Carter and Sanders then combined again to put Southsea back in front. Carter curled in a cross and Sanders turned the ball in from close-range.

Horndean’s failure to close down Carter cost them again five minutes later. This time Petts was on the spot to convert his pin-point delivery.

Horndean pressed the self-destruct button again on 35 minutes, giving the ball away to Bill Cook who strode forward and planted his shot in off the post.

Carter was subbed early in the second half but Southsea soon scored a fifth from the penalty spot.

The referee judged Petts was clipped as he turned in the box and Sanders confidently completed his hat-trick from 12 yards.

It was 6-1 just after the hour. Petts got ahead of his marker to reach Cook’s ball into the box and comfortably beat Norris.

Another defensive error gifted Southsea their seventh goal. A Horndean throw-in enabled Petts to take possession and steer the ball inside the far post.

Only a great save from Norris prevented Petts from adding to the total. He went full-length to tip the ball on to the bar and over.

Things went from bad to worse for Horndean after 70 minutes when they were reduced to 10 men. They had been upset with several decisions, including the penalty, and Charlton was shown two quick yellows for dissent.

Horndean felt their injustice was compounded by a controversial final eighth goal.

The assistant flagged Petts offside but he was allowed to continue and bundle the ball into the net.

And the match ended with a flurry of Horndean yellow cards for more dissent.

Len Day Cup


SOUTHSEA UNITED 8 (Sanders 3, Petts 4, Cook)