Plaudits for Bevan but Hawks are frustrated with draw

Scott Bevan. Picture: Malcolm Wells
Scott Bevan. Picture: Malcolm Wells
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Lee Bradbury praised goalkeeper Scott Bevan who helped Hawks secure a 2-2 Skrill South draw with Farnborough at the Paddy Power Stadium.

But the Westleigh Park boss was not so happy with the rest of the team after they were pegged back, having led 2-0 at half-time.

So many chances went begging in the first half and the visitors were made to pay as Farnborough pulled level.

Defeat could have been on the cards from there but Bevan’s impressive heroics proved crucial.

‘Scott made a couple of great saves when they were pushing on in the final 20 minutes,’ said Bradbury.

‘There were a few raised eyebrows when I brought him here in the summer because of his history of serious injuries.

‘He had a bit of bad luck but we have managed to keep him fit and playing.

‘The lad is a fantastic goalkeeper and you don’t play the number of games he’s played in the Football League without possessing some quality.

‘His footwork is fantastic and he has great reactions for a big lad.’

Bevan pulled off a terrific one-handed save to push Tyrone Berry’s shot around the post when the game was still goalless in the first half.

But his best stop came in the 67th minute.

He somehow stretched to divert Josh Huggins’ goalbound strike over the bar.

He showed great reactions again soon afterwards, getting down low to push out another Berry effort from inside the area.

That all came after the Hawks should have been out of sight, long before half-time.

Sahr Kabba and Scott Jones were the main culprits as chances went begging.

But the visitors did find the net, with two goals in the final five minutes of the half.

Dennis Oli and Kabba put them in what appeared to be a commanding position.

Twice corners created panic in the home defence, allowing the Hawks strikers to capitalise and fire home.

Bradbury felt his men should have had the game finished early – after watching them cope well with tricky playing conditions.

He said: ‘It was a shocking playing surface – easily the worst we have played on.

‘In the first half, though, we were by far the better team and in complete control.

‘We had chances and Farnborough should have been dead and buried.’

The second half was a different story and the home side pinned the Hawks back, launching wave after wave of attacks.

The pressure finally told and there was little Bevan could do to prevent Scott Donnelly and Huggins deservedly levelling the scores.

It was then a case of Bradbury’s side hanging on for a point.

But they still missed a great chance to win it when Dan Strugnell was off target in the final minute.

‘It was definitely two points thrown away and the players feel like we lost,’ said Bradbury.

‘We conceded two sloppy goals and have to be more clinical in both boxes.’

Hawks: Bevan, Newton, Cummings, Ryan, Strugnell, Harris, Ciardini (Blanchett, 68mins), Atangana, Oli (Przespolewski, 76mins), Jones (Monteiro, 68mins), Kabba. Sub: Ramsey.

Referee: C Fitch.

Att: 388.