Portchester back on track: non-league round-up

Joe Bye. Picture: Neil Marshall
Joe Bye. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

AFC Portchester manager Graham Rix praised his side for their response in their 5-1 Russell-Cotes Cup win over Whitchurch United at Wicor Rec.

The Royals were bitterly disappointed to exit the League Cup at the weekend with a defeat to local rivals Fareham Town.

Rix wanted a reaction and goals from Joe Bye, Joe Noakes, Alex Baldacchino, Geoff Dunn and Ash Howes provided just that.

Rix said: ‘It was an important game for us. In the last couple of games, we had let things slip a little.

‘Right from the start the players showed that they were up for it and we throughly deserved our win.

‘Whitchurch beat us in the league earlier so it was also vital to turn the tables. We felt that we owed them one.

‘Louie Castles and Joe Noakes terrorised them down the wings. We were a threat.

‘The challenge now is for the whole team to do it week in, week out and achieve greater consistency.’

For the second year running Baffins Milton Rovers suffered penalty shoot-out heartache in the competition.

Baffins lost out 4-1 in the shoot-out at Wessex League Romsey Town after the game ended 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Tyler Yates put the Hampshire League visitors ahead on the stroke of half-time but the home side levelled with a contentious penalty after the break.

‘To be fair we were on top for a lot of the game,’ said Baffins manager Louis Bell.

‘In the second half, we did everything but score after they equalised.

‘Once we missed our first two penalties, we were up against it.’

United Services Portsmouth couldn’t repeat their cup giant-killing act as they lost 2-0 at Wessex Premier Lymington Town.

The Sailors knocked Wessex Premier outfit Hamworthy United out of the League cup at the weekend.

But boss Bob Brady praised his teams battling qualities.

‘We kept going right to the end,’ said Brady.

‘It was goalless at half-time but I don’t know how we didn’t go in ahead at the break.’

Moneyfields saw their cup-tie against Andover New Street postponed as their opponents couldn’t raise a side.