Portchester boss eyes green shoots of recovery

Matt Page was injured in Fareham's FA Vase win. Picture: Malcolm Wells
Matt Page was injured in Fareham's FA Vase win. Picture: Malcolm Wells
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

AFC Portchester manager Graham Rix believes his team are on the way back to form after their 2-1 FA Vase win over Western League Bitton at Wicor Rec.

Andy Rinomhota headed the Royals into an early lead before full-back Rob Evans added a second at the start of the second half.

Bitton reduced the arrears 20 minutes before the end to set up a nervous finale.

‘It was a great performance and result for us,’ said Rix.

‘We worked really hard and we were more like our old selves.

‘The players showed a great desire and determination to win against a team who are at the top of their league.

‘Recently we have struggled but the players lifted their game.

‘It was a fine balance between playing our football and doing what we had to do to go through.

Fareham Town’s 2-0 FA Vase win over Fawley at Cams Alders was marred by a serious injury to young defender Matt Page.

The student was taken to hospital midway through the first half and was diagnosed with a serious damage to his left kidney.

After a goalless first half, the Reds made the breakthrough shortly after the hour mark with Jordan Neal blasting home from the right side of the area.

Wayne Boud fired a shot against the post before Liam Bradbury sealed the Reds’ passage into the next round with a last-minute tap-in.

An Alfie Rutherford hat-trick set Moneyfields on their way to a 4-0 win over Brockenhurst at Dover Road.

Sixteen-year-old Rutherford, recently released by Pompey, is quickly adjusting to life at Moneyfields.

Eighteen-year-old Ryan Pennery also got on the scoresheet – netting with his first touch after going on as a substitute.

In the Wessex League premier division, Robbie Tambling grabbed a hat-trick in Petersfield Town’s comfortable 4-0 win over Christchurch at Love Lane.

Andy Todd scored late on as Town made it four successive wins.

Meanwhile, Horndean sealed a 3-0 win at Verwood.

Dave Carter’s side eased to glory with strikes from Mark Smith, Gary Austin and George Davis.