Portchester feeling down at Downton... Horndean make point

Kev Pottage
Kev Pottage
Craig McAllister. Picture: Keith Woodland

Pike sees positives amid Borough’s misfortune

Have your say

AFC Portchester paid the penalty as they slipped to a 2-0 Wessex League premier division defeat at high-flying Downton.

They spurned the chance to take the lead when they missed a penalty after just five minutes.

Jay Ripiner was put clean through but he was taken out by the home goalkeeper.

Portchester were surprised there was no card shown and their agony soon increased.

Kevin Pottage stepped up but saw the keeper save his spot-kick.

Downton capitalised on their good fortune and never looked back.

They scored twice before half-time to take a firm grip on the game.

Portchester fought hard but could not find a way back into the contest.

‘We couldn’t fault the effort and application of the players,’ said AFC Portchester director of football Mick Jenkins.

‘Our decision making in the final third let us down again.

‘We were also guilty of conceding two sloppy goals.

‘It wasn’t easy to play our football on a pitch that resembled a cow field.’

A Tommy Woodward goal earned Horndean a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth Poppies.

The visitors led after 25 minutes.

Dan Ayres made a good run out of defence and picked out Rob Desport who cut in from the right and fired in a shot that was parried away.

Woodward latched onto the rebound and buried his shot into the bottom corner.

A misjudgement by keeper Derek Harding led to a Poppies equaliser before half-time.

The youngster, however, redeemed himself with three outstanding second-half saves to secure Horndean’s point.

‘Any point away from home is good,’ said Horndean manager Dave Carter.

‘Both teams had chances to win it and we hit the post and had an effort cleared off the line in the last five minutes.’

Fareham Town’s attempt to experiment with Friday night football was scuppered by heavy rain as their game against GE Hamble was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.