Portchester grab late winner in thrilling Deans derby

Nathan Paxton started Horndean's comeback, only for AFC Portchester to win in the end
Nathan Paxton started Horndean's comeback, only for AFC Portchester to win in the end
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Afc Portchester bagged a winner deep into injury-time to edge Horndean 3-2 in an action-packed Wessex premier derby.

The hosts looked to be cruising to three points when they went 2-0 up shortly after the break.

And Horndean looked dead and buried after Chamal Fenelon was given a straight red card for a rash challenge.

Despite having a mountain to climb, though, the Deans showed plenty of spirit with 10 men.

First, they reduced the deficit through Nathan Paxton. And, against the odds, they then made it 2-2 when Torr Spicer netted.

But having done so well to battle back, the visitors were reduced to nine men late on as Joe Noakes was given his marching orders.

And that proved crucial as Portchester found a winner with seconds left of the match to take the derby honours and settle a thrilling contest.

Fareham also fought back from two goals down, only to lose 3-2 to Newport IoW at Cams Alders.

Matt Parr’s men were poor in the opening half, where they failed to muster a genuine chance on goal.

Newport took a ninth-minute lead when Giancarlavich pounced on a mix-up between keeper Luke Douglas and Craig Shrimpton to net.

And it was 2-0 just past the half-hour mark as Giancarlavich’s cross was headed home by Tom McInnes.

A half-time talking to from Parr seemed to do the trick for Fareham, though, as they came out a different team in the second half.

Their improved display was then rewarded with two goals in the space of five minutes – both from corners.

First, Gary Austin made it 2-1, before Mitch Goldring levelled the scores.

Levy then had an effort clawed off the line by the Newport keeper.

But having restored parity, a break from the visitors seven minutes from time led to Presopoleski grabbing the winner to leave Fareham empty-handed.

Moneyfields were always second best as they were brushed aside at league leaders Christchurch in a 3-0 defeat.