Portchester pass up chance of victory as Moneys impress Carter

Joe Bye
Joe Bye
Have your say

AFC Portchester were guilty of throwing away two Wessex League premier division points in a 2-2 draw with 10-man Bemerton Heath Harlequins at Wicor Rec.

The Royals failed to back up their outstanding Hampshire Senior Cup victory over the Hawks in midweek.

And in the end they were lucky to come away with a point as Joe Bye netted a last-minute penalty.

Assistant-manager Steve Johnson admitted it was a below-par performance.

He said: ‘We didn’t deserve to get anything. It was very disappointing.

‘The wind was horrendous and we didn’t adapt to the conditions. Even though Bemerton went down to 10 men just before half-time, we failed to capitalise on it.’

The visitors stunned the home side by taking the lead early in the second half with a wind-assisted, 25-yard shot.

Jason Parish equalised in a goalmouth scramble but poor defending let the visitors in for a second goal.

Bye rescued a point from the spot after Rob Evans was brought down by the goalkeeper.

Elsewhere, Moneyfields produced a dominant performance to win 2-1 at Andover Town.

All the goals came in the first half with Connor Bailey – with a penalty – and Dan Woodward hitting the target for the visitors.

‘It is the first time since I have been at the club that we have bossed a game from start to finish,’ said Moneys manager Dave Carter.

‘We worked our socks off to get three deserved points.

‘Some of the hard work is starting to pay off and if we keep it up, we should soon start climbing the league.’

Bailey scored a 10th-minute penalty after Nathan Paxton was brought down.

Woodward drilled home a 20-yard shot midway through the half before the home side pulled a goal back with the final kick before the break.

Horndean lost 4-3 to league leaders Salisbury in a hard-fought clash at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium.

Manager Craig Pearce was thrilled by the battling qualities displayed by his team.

‘We showed a lot of character, especially when we were 3-1 down,’ said the boss.

‘The players dug in and showed a tremendous attitude.

‘We went close to snatching a draw with a free-kick right at the death.’

Ian Humble, Robbie Tambling and Mark Corbett were on target for the visitors.

Petersfield Town’s Southern League division one central clash with Barton Rovers was postponed.