Mark Poulton has been axed by Horndean ahead of their return to the Wessex League premier division next season.
Boss Dave Carter, who brought Poulton in to work alongside him last October, has decided to revamp his coaching set-up.
And that has meant no place for the experienced Poulton.
Horndean won 29 of their last 33 games to finish runners-up to Downton in division one.
Meanwhile, they also won the Portsmouth Senior Cup last term.
But despite the success, Carter insisted he needed to freshen things up, stating he had different opinions to Poulton on how to take the club forward.
‘Football is about opinions and ours differed in a number of areas,’ said the boss
‘I would like to thank him for his help in getting us promoted but it is time to introduce some fresh faces.’
The decision came as a shock to 48-year-old Poulton, who had already turned down other offers to stay at Horndean.
‘Dave decided he wanted to run with an assistant manager rather than a joint one,’ said Poulton.
‘I didn’t feel that was what I was looking for.
‘It is a shame this has happened because I felt the club was going somewhere.
‘Only the week before I turned down the chance to manage a club in Sussex division one to stay at Horndean.
‘It is disappointing because people remarked that last season saw one of the best footballing sides at the club for years.
‘I enjoyed my time with the club, working with a lot of players that I have worked with before. Dave puts a lot of time and hard work in at the club and I hope they do well in the top level next season.
‘I don’t know what I will be doing yet and will have to wait and see.’
Horndean start their pre-season friendly programme on July 16 against Gosport Borough at Five Heads Park.
Carter admitted he has lost midfield play-maker George Way to the Southern League south & west division outfit, though.
He does, however, expect the majority of last season’s promotion-winning squad to re-sign for the Deans.