Reds on verge of great escape after thrilling win

Ash Tattersall   Picture: Malcolm Wells
Ash Tattersall Picture: Malcolm Wells
Have your say

Fareham Town hauled themselves out of the Wessex League premier division relegation-zone with a thrilling 2-1 win over Newport IOW at Cams Alders.

Goals from Callum Laycock, from the penalty spot, and Ash Tattersall proved enough to earn the home side three vital points.

If the Reds win their final game at Andover Town on Saturday then they will complete a ‘great escape,’ from relegation.

Manager Matt Parr appreciated the gutsy display from his team.

‘We were not at our best and were probably a bit too nervous,’ said Parr.

‘Newport were the better team on the night but we showed the character to grind out a result.

‘Our never-say-die attitude came through on the night.

‘It was gritty and gutsy and our back four were terrific.

‘We musn’t get too carried away, though, because we still have to go to Andover on Saturday and win.

‘If we can do that then it won’t matter matter what our rivals do.’

Early on, home defender Ollie Searle had to be alert to prevent Matt Gane getting on the end of a dangerous cross.

The Reds missed a glorious chance on 23 minutes when Tattersall was sent clear by Bradey Norton but failed to hit the target.

The home side, however, made the all-important breakthrough in the 38th minute from the penalty spot.

Visiting defender Jake Younie, who suffered a nightmare evening, clearly handled in the area and Laycock made no mistake with his spot-kick.

Newport upped their tempo at the start of the second half and deservedly found a 52nd-minute equaliser.

Aiden Sainsbury’s 25-yard shot rebounded off the post and Tom McInnes knocked in the rebound.

Fareham came under increasing pressure but broke out to grab the crucial 68th-minute winning goal.

A quick counter-attack ended with Tattersall beating Younie before firing home.

Horndean had to settle for a 0-0 draw against Verwood Town at Five Heads Park.

Manager Dave Carter was left bemoaning a lack of finishing power as his team dropped two points.

‘We lacked composure in the final third,’ said Carter.

‘To be fair, we only fielded about four regular first-team players but we couldn’t put the ball in the net.

‘They came with the intention of getting players behind the ball and were difficult to break down.’