‘Ridiculous’ red hurts Fareham

Gary Austin caused the Brockenhurst problems. Picture: Sarah Standing (123571-2255)
Gary Austin caused the Brockenhurst problems. Picture: Sarah Standing (123571-2255)
Ben Wright is back for Gosport.  Picture: Keith Woodland

Bell: Gosport need to make a big final push

Have your say

Matt Parr hit out at a ‘ridiculous’ red card which sparked defeat for Fareham Town last night.

The Reds went down 4-2 at Brockenhurst after Rob Pittman was dismissed for a high challenge.

It was rough on Fareham, who until that point had been the better side – following goals from Graham Lindsey and Jon Wilson.

And it left Parr longing for a change of fortune for his men.

The Reds boss said: ‘The lads were magnificent and deserved better.

‘So many decisions went against us – the sending off was ridiculous.

‘But there it is. It isn’t the first time things have gone against us by poor decisions.

‘All we can do is get on with it and hope for a change of fortune.’

Brockenhurst’s Carlo Tate dished out some heavy treatment on Fareham’s Lindsey as the game began.

His crude challenge deserved at least a yellow card but all it resulted in was a free-kick that Lee Tigwell buried in the defensive wall.

Tigwell featured again with a decent run but his fierce cross was cut out by the hosts’ keeper Scott O’Rourke with Lindsey ready to strike.

On 15 minutes – and having soaked up much of the pressure – the Badgers conjured a fine move of their own.

But Bill Tickle fired into the side-netting as Luke Douglas raced out to narrow the angle.

The Reds keeper came to his side’s rescue twice more.

First he turned Tickle’s goal-bound shot behind – and then he saved Scott Joyce’s point-blank header from the resulting corner.

Fareham were picked apart by the run of Lerone Plummer on 25 minutes, though.

And his eventual cross fell nicely for Joyce to prod past Douglas.

Brockenhurst’s lead lasted just two minutes, however, as Fareham’s goal-machine Lindsey struck.

The hitman darted in at the far post to meet a Tigwell cross and sidefoot the ball home.

Douglas was in fine form for the Reds – and he needed to be as Plummer burst through only to be denied by the keeper’s fingertips.

As the half neared its close, Tate hit Fareham’s bar with a header.

And there was still time for the Reds’ Gary Austin to cross to Lindsey, only for his downward header to be touched up and over the bar by O’Rourke.

A nasty challenge by Harry Jeffreys on Fareham’s Mark Wheeler finally brought a yellow card from the referee early in the second half.

And on the hour, the Reds took the lead as a long ball broke to Wilson who volleyed home.

However, the hosts levelled almost instantly – Warren Kenna toe-ending a shot past Douglas from close range.

As play resumed, tempers became frayed and Pittman’s high challenge on Joyce saw him sent off.

The 10 men of Fareham still looked capable of going on to win, though.

Better finishing by Ashley Tattersall would have restored the lead but his effort hit the side-netting.

Then, with 10 minutes left, the home side won a penalty after Plummer’s theatrical dive – and up stepped Kenna to beat Douglas from the spot.

Deep in injury-time, Brockenhurst put the game out of reach as Plummer set up Joyce to ram in number four.

BROCKENHURST: O’Rourke, Clark, Maher, Jeffreys, Tate, Gundry, Kenna, Morse, Joyce, Plummer, Tickle. Subs: Smith, Barker, Little, Landers, Alexander

FAREHAM: Douglas, Pittman, Tigwell, Humble, Jones, Lewis, Austin, Wheeler, Lindsey, Wilson, Cotton. Subs: Tattersall, Rowe, Cripps, Martin, Bunton