Rocks in pole position for title

Steve Black, right, bagged Hayling's leveller against Brockenhurst
Steve Black, right, bagged Hayling's leveller against Brockenhurst
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Bognor are in pole position for the Ryman one south title run-in after a last-gasp win over promotion rivals Leatherhead – thanks to a fluke goal.

Ben Johnson was the hero but even he could never claim his cross from the left which hit the woodwork and Tanners keeper Chico Ramos and went in was a direct attempt at goal.

The Rocks and the majority of the crowd of 532 didn’t care, though, as they celebrated their side going two points clear of the Met Police at the top – and putting 10 points between themselves and Leatherhead, whose own run of five straight wins before this had put them in with an outside title chance.

The Rocks led in the 20th minute through Jason Prior.

The Tanners were level on 28 minutes, before Bognor were back in front three minutes before the break when Johnson stabbed the ball past Ramos.

Leatherhead were level again 18 minutes from time as Liam Pestle drove home from close in.

But with two minutes left, Johnson worked his way into space near the left touchline and swung over a cross to the far post. It beat the keeper’s reach, hit the woodwork, struck the keeper and went in – to the amazement of everyone.

Moneyfields’ hopes of a top-six Wessex League premier division finish were dented as they slumped to a 3-2 defeat against Brading Town at Dover Road.

‘It was one of the poorest Brading teams I have seen for a while and we still lost to them,’ said Moneys manager Miles Rutherford.

‘We were awful and it showed that we are still a long way from where we want to be.’

Dean Blake put the Copnor club ahead after 25 minutes when he intercepted a poor cross-field pass by Steve Leigh and fired home from 20 yards.

Brading, however, proved physically stronger in the second period and turned the tables to lead 3-1 before Bikram Singh scored a consolation goal two minutes from time.

Moneyfields’ misery was complete when leading goalscorer Warren Hunt went off with a hamstring problem. He is likely to be out for the closing weeks of the season.

Fareham Town suffered a Poole Town backlash as they crumbled to a 5-0 away defeat.

The home side were knocked out of the FA Vase semi-finals at the weekend and they took their disappointment out on the Reds as striker Steve Smith cashed in with four goals.

Horndean turned in a five-star second-half performance to thrash Cowes Sports 5-0 at Five Heads Park and move ever closer to promotion from Wessex division one.

After a goalless first half Horndean ran riot as Sean Thurgood, Gary Austin, substitute Alex Milroy (2) and Nathan Paxton hit home.

‘That pits us so close to securing promotion and I think we need only one more win and a draw to make sure,’ said Deans boss Dave Carter.

‘We have a welcome 11-day break now before returning refreshed to complete the job.’

In the Puma Engineering Hampshire Premier League, two second-half goals sent Fleetlands spinning to a 2-0 defeat at AFC Stoneham.