Rowe fires double as Fareham beat Portchester

Wayne Boud
Wayne Boud
Ben Wright waits on the referee to award one of his goals. Picture: Vernon Nash (180380-107)

Borough striker pleased to make most of Frome plight

Have your say

DOUGIE ROWE bagged a brace as Fareham turned on the style to beat 10-man AFC Portchester 3-1 in the Wessex League premier division at Cams Alders last night.

Wayne Boud was also on the mark for the Reds.

His goal was cancelled out by former Fareham ace Danny Thompson.

But Portchester then had Glen Knight dismissed before Rowe bagged his double.

It was a feisty start to the clash.

Craig Hardy sent Reds striker Graham Lindsey crashing into the fencing with a thunderous challenge.

Former Moneyfields defender Shaun Kerridge came to Portchester’s rescue to keep the scores level.

He made a last-ditch clearance after Boud’s swirling ball in almost found Jim Cuthbert.

But Fareham took the lead on 20 minutes.

McKie and Liam Hibberd linked up to find Boud.

He beat his marker before flashing a shot past Portchester keeper Jason Plomer at the near post.

The visitors rallied immediately and almost got a leveller.

Thompson met Blu Boam’s cross but could only flash his header inches over.

The Fareham defence dealt well with Porchester’s attacks to protect their lead.

Lindsey was then denied by Plomer who clawed out his header from under his bar.

Fareham had to replace the influential McKie on 35 minutes.

He left the field with a knee injury – replaced by Ashley Tattersall.

They almost suffered another blow before the break.

Kev Pottage made space to turn and shoot but saw his effort crash off the crossbar.

Thompson levelled early in the second half, netting a penalty after striker Pabs N’Doye was tripped in the area.

Reds keeper Todd Howard denied N’Doye.

But the hosts were boosted when Portchester’s Knight was ordered off after an outrageous challenge on James Roden in midfield.

Fareham capitalised as the 10 men paid the price.

Rowe met Boud’s free-kick and sent a header into the net for 2-1.

The substitute then got clear to poke home the third and seal victory for Matt Parr’s men.

FAREHAM: Howard, Martin, Doswell, Hibberd, Jones, Burt, Boud, Roden, Lindsey, McKie, Cuthbert. Subs: Rowe, Tattersall, Stevens, Dove, Douglas.

PORTCHESTER: Plomer, Pittman, Stone, Knight, Hardy, Kerridge, Pottage, Thompson, N’Doye, Bell, Boam. Subs: Way, Audin, Crawford, Webb.