Rutherford challenges goal-hero Hutchings to avoid a suspension

Steve Hutchings. Picture: Neil Marshall
Steve Hutchings. Picture: Neil Marshall
It has been a tough time for the struggling Rocks

Potentially serious injury is another blow for struggling Bognor

Have your say

Moneyfields manager Miles Rutherford has laid down the gauntlet to hat-trick hero Steve Hutchings after their 4-0 Wessex League premier division win at Whitchurch United.

Rutherford has challenged Hutchings not to get booked in the next few weeks.

The powerful striker is just one yellow card away from a three-game ban and Rutherford doesn’t want to be without his striker.

He said: ‘We know Steve can score goals for fun but now we need him to show that he can be disciplined as well,’ said Rutherford.

‘He picks up a lot of needless bookings but some of them this season have also been unjust.

‘Steve is not a dirty player, but because of his physical presence keeps piling up the bookings.

‘The challenge for him now is to see if he can avoid that.’

Hutchings destroyed third-placed Whitchurch with a first-half hat-trick and Tom Rasch rifled in a long-range shot, 10 minutes from time, to seal the emphatic win.

Ashley Harris led a remarkable Horndean fightback in their thrilling 3-2 win at Winchester City.

It looked bleak for the visitors when they trailed by two goals and had goalkeeper Lyall Beazley stretchered off with a broken collar-bone in the first half.

Harris though opened his Horndean account with a 35th-minute far post volley, from a Mark Smith cross.

Twice in the second half Harris produced accurate corners for Smith and Robbie Pittman to put the visitors in front.

Substitute goalkeeper Derek Harding and his defenders kept City, who had a player sent off five minutes from time, at bay.

‘Our second half was unbelievable and we showed tremendous character,’ said Horndean boss Dave Carter.

‘It was a brave three points marred only by the injury to our keeper.’

Struggling Fareham Town slipped to a 3-0 defeat at high-riding Folland Sports.

It was a much-improved performance from the Reds though.

They held the home side to a goalless first half.

But Fareham also had George Davis sent off five minutes from time after he upended a Follands’ forward to concede a penalty.