Rutherford delighted as Moneyfields net comeback win

Stuart Green scored for Moneys
Stuart Green scored for Moneys
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Miles Rutherford was delighted with a superb second-half display from Moneyfields as they hit back from 2-0 down to beat Lymington Town 4-2 last night.

The Moneys boss made a triple substitution at half-time, with his men in big trouble.

And it paid off as goals from Bobby Scott and Stuart Green, plus a brace from striker Steve Hutchings, sealed a superb Wessex League premier division comeback win.

Rutherford felt it was a great night at Dover Road – in the end.

He said: ‘We let ourselves down in the first half and put in a very tired performance.

‘Once we freshened things up at half-time the game changed.

‘All credit to the lads for coming back from 2-0 down.

‘I couldn’t have asked for any more.’

Moneys made one change to the team who drew 0-0 in their league opener at Winchester City on Saturday.

Cameron Scott was drafted in to replace keeper Dave Hook who was unavailable.

Moneys created the first opening after six minutes, following excellent work by Green.

The pacey forward won the ball well but his cross from the right was headed wide by Conor Bailey.

Lymington, though, were unlucky not to lead when Carlos Geteski glanced a header against the far post.

But they did not have to wait long as, on 16 minutes, Moneys shot themselves in the foot.

Defenders Rob Evans and Jack Lee got in a tangle, leaving Sam Floyd to score from 10 yards out.

In response, striker Hutchings forced a good save from Lymington keeper Stuart Williamson.

But the hosts pressed the self-destruct button again on 22 minutes.

Lee gave the ball away on the edge of his own area, and Lymington’s Lee New was left to fire past Scott for 2-0.

Rutherford decided change was needed for the second half and brought on Ford, Scott and Jay Ripiner.

Moneys immediately looked a different side.

Hutching’s deep cross was headed over by Evans as the home side upped their game and soon scored twice in two minutes.

On 55 minutes, Green turned in Hutchings’ downward header, from a Scott corner, to reduce the arrears.

Almost immediately, Hutchings used his strength to hold off two defenders before picking his spot past Williamson.

On 65 minutes, Moneys took a 3-2 lead.

Ford burst forward and picked out Scott, who finished well as he rifled home a low shot from just outside the area.

A minute from time, Moneys added a fourth.

Scott was fouled in the area and Hutchings sent the keeper the wrong way with his spot-kick to seal a superb victory.

Moneyfields: C. Scott, Evans, D. Birmingham, Lee, Rackley, Horrell, Savage, Green, Lacey, Hutchings, Bailey. Subs: Raine, B. Scott, Ford, Ripiner.

Lymington Town: Williamson, Stacey, Davis, Ritchie, Spacagna, Pancaldi, Viner, Geteski, Floyd, New, Igglesden. Subs: Vokes, Jewell, Blake, Allen, Wright.

Referee: S. Graham.