Second-half goal storm sees Moneys win derby

Simon Woods put AFC Portchester ahead as the visitors dominated the first half at Moneyfields
Simon Woods put AFC Portchester ahead as the visitors dominated the first half at Moneyfields

Carter: Moneys won’t surrender in play-off bid

Have your say

Moneyfields produced a second-half super show to beat AFC Portchester 5-2 in their Wessex premier derby.

The hosts were second best for the opening 45 minutes and trailed at the break.

But they came out with all guns blazing after half-time as Bobby Scott’s hat-trick led them to three points.

Portchester started well on a quagmire of a pitch and Liam Horsted cut a path through along the line before being blocked by Dan Sackman.

Moneys striker Steve Hutchings went close with a cross-shot that keeper Jason Plomer did well to claim under his crossbar.

The visitors took the lead on six minutes thanks to a sleeping Moneyfields rearguard, a superb pass from George Way and the pace of Simon Woods that took him through to tuck the ball past Dave Hook.

Hook was then required to hoof clear as Portchester upped the pressure and Woods was denied his second only by the Moneys shot-stopper.

The hosts finally put together a move of some note and Bobby Scott went close to an equaliser with a free-kick that thumped the crossbar.

Hook again kept his side in the match when he got down in the mud to block Blu Boam’s close-range finish.

Moneyfields were looking a spent force as the half drew to a close as everything they tried broke down in the final third of the pitch.

Sixty seconds into the second half, though, Moneys were level thanks to an amazing long-range free-kick from Scott.

Now it was Portchester’s turn to feel the heat as Miles Rutherford’s half-time team talk had the desired effect on his rejuvenated team.

And on the hour mark, up stepped Scott again to power home another free-kick to give Moneyfields the lead that had looked far beyond them for much of the match.

Portchester clawed their way back into the match with an equaliser as Way’s corner was headed home by substitute Rob Pittman at the far post.

But Moneys striker Hutchings put the hosts 3-2 ahead when he picked up a long ball to produce a well-struck finish.

And just before the final whistle, Scott completed a fine comeback for the home side when he met Hunt’s inspired cross to complete his hat-trick.

There was still enough time for Hutchings to ease his way into the penalty area and blast a fifth past Plomer.

Wessex League premier division

MONEYFIELDS 5 (Scott 3, Hutchings 2)

AFC PORTCHESTER 2 (Woods, Pittman)

Moneyfields: Hook, Evans, Brockway, Lee, Rackley, Sackman, Hunt, Gauntlett, Slater, Hutchings, B Scott. Subs: C Scott, Raine, Wain, Lacey, Page.

AFC Portchester: Plomer, Clark, Stone, Knight, Audin, Hardy, Horsted, Maddison, Woods, Way, Boam. Subs: N’Doye, Moody, Bell, Cresswell, Pittman.