Segensworth crash out of county cup

Richard Pacquette and Rocky Baptiste (right) celebrate with the Hawks fans after the win against Swansea

Cup nostalgia: ‘Fantastic night’ for Hawks set up famous Anfield trip

Have your say

Segensworth made a second-round Hampshire Junior B Cup exit after being out-paced and out-passed by the young guns of Bishops Waltham Dynamos.

Segensworth had an early scare when a defensive slip let Joe Dudley in on goal.

But he elected to pass when a shot looked a better option and the chance was lost.

However, Dudley did open the scoring after five minutes.

A Dan Smith corner was only half cleared and he rifled his shot through a crowded goalmouth and into the net.

Segensworth had seen little of the ball in the opening exchanges but they were nearly level after 10 minutes.

Brad McMillan was denied by the legs of keeper Finlay Taylor after good work on the left by Simon Melsome.

Taylor then did well to adjust to keep out a deflected Garry Cass free-kick, before Dynamos went 2-0 up after 20 minutes.

Smith’s turn of pace saw him burst free of the Segensworth defence and he calmly nudged the ball past keeper Nick Bell.

Bell then did well to tip over a Rob Patterson pile-driver, but Dynamos soon grabbed a third.

Dudley turned and shot from 15 yards out but a deflection off a defender wrong-footed Bell and the ball nestled into the far corner of the net.

Segensworth needed a quick second-half goal if they were to get back into the tie.

But after an early scramble in the Dynamos box, neither side created a chance of note until midway through the half.

Dudley then flashed his shot wide, while at the other end Lawrence Keep’s long throw was nearly forced in by Mike Mead.

Dynamo removed any doubts over the result, though, with a neat goal on 75 minutes.

Smith again showed a clean pair of heels to the Segensworth backline and his cross was side-footed past Bell by substitute Darren Belton.

Melsome pulled a goal back soon after when he hooked in at the par post from Keep’s cross.

But Dynamos finished in style with five minutes left when Dudley completed his hat-trick with a flying far-post header.