Seventh heaven for Hawks in cup romp

Theo Lewis returned to action following suspension
Theo Lewis returned to action following suspension
Have your say

THE HAWKS cruised into the Hampshire Senior Cup quarter-finals with a confidence-boosting goal spree against Petersfield Town.

Lee Bradbury’s side breezed into the last eight of the competition with a 7-0 battering of the Rams at Love Lane.

That brought relief from their National League South struggles as the goals flowed in the rain.

Petersfield were left frustrated by some refereeing decisions on a night it went horribly wrong for them.

Bradbury declared himself happy with the way the Hawks progressed into the next round, however.

He said: ‘We started the game well and worked hard for the whole 90 minutes.

‘It was probably the worst pitch we have played on for a long time.

‘But, in the end, we kept a clean sheet, scored lots of goals and there were some good performances.

‘After Saturday’s loss it was important to get back to winning ways.

‘Petersfield had their goalkeeper sent off and, credit to them, they kept working hard. But I am delighted to be in the next round.’

The game was made trickery by the weather and heavy pitch made worse by the persistent rain.

But Hawks settled their nerves with a goal after 12 minutes when Matt Paterson curled his shot home.

Things got worse for Petersfield four minutes later, when Anthony Ender brought down Jake Thomson just outside the box and was sent off.

Replacement keeper Luke Eaton’s first task was to pick the ball the out of the net after Brian Stock curled in an unstoppable free-kick.

The Rams rallied when the ball was worked to Joe Briggs and he unleashed a low shot which Ryan Young just about guided around the post for a corner. Young was then equal to Stuart Green’s 25 yarder.

Hawks got their third goal in controversial circumstances, as Thomson took the ball into the box and Sean Wain produced a fine tackle.

To the home crowd’s astonishment, the referee pointed to the spot, though, and Paterson made no mistake as he sent Eaton the wrong way.

The Hawks got their fourth just before the interval, when Harry Medway curled a shot past Eaton.

Things didn’t get better for Petersfield after the break as Hawks’ fifth goal came on 57 minutes, when Godfrey Poku drove through the middle and tucked away a low shot.

Petersfield’s night was summed up when Joe Richardson broke clean through and took the ball past three Hawks players, but screwed his free shot horribly wide.

The sixth goal came on 74 minutes, when Hawks sub Theo Lewis drilled home a low 25 yarder on his return after suspension.

The final goal came three minutes later, when Marvin Morgan turned his marker and smashed his shot in from the edge of the box.