Simmonds hits hat-trick as Petersfield shock Farnborough

Jordan Neal. Picture: Neil Marshall
Jordan Neal. Picture: Neil Marshall
Ryan Pennery

Goal-hungry Ryan Pennery keen on Gosport return

Have your say

PETERSFIELD TOWN defied the odds to record what many of their fans felt was an unthinkable victory against highly-fancied Farnborough at Love Lane.

The Rams won the Southern League division one central clash 3-2 thanks to a hat-trick from Dan Simmonds.

Veteran striker Jamie Cureton netted twice for Farnborough who have been strongly tipped for the title this season.

But it was Petersfield who shocked everyone in the crowd at Love Lane by taking the lead after 11 minutes.

A foul inside the penalty area saw the referee point to the spot.

Simmonds stepped up and buried the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Farnborough got back on level terms six minutes later.

A low cross from the right went along the edge of the six-yard box.

And Jamie Cureton used all of his experience to guide the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The visitors then had two other good chances around the half-hour mark.

Good build-up play down the right set John Onunga away.

He cut inside and forced Rams keeper Anthony Ender to tip his shot over the crossbar.

The visitors went closer a minute later when Eddie Smith tried to place his shot into the net but his effort hit the post and he put the follow-up wide of the target.

The next goal in the game was going to be crucial and Petersfield snatched the lead 10 minutes after the restart.

Jordan Neal won the ball and fed Simmonds who smashed an unstoppable shot from 25 yards past keeper Joel Driscoll.

Petersfield went 3-1 up on 68 minutes after Neal burst clear down the middle and his shot was blocked.

The ball bounced to Simmonds and he tucked it into the empty net.

The visitors pulled a goal back on 72 minutes.

Good build-up play down the left allowed Cureton to work some space on the edge of the box and he fired an unstoppable shot past Ender into the net.

Meanwhile, Fareham Town claimed the Wessex League premier division derby bragging rights by beating Horndean 1-0 at Five Heads Park.

Reds striker Matt Andrew netted the only goal early on but then received a red card in the closing stages of the contest.

Steve Hutchings scored twice to help Moneyfields to a 2-0 win over Team Solent at Dover Road.