Six of the best as Pearce earns first Deans victory... Reds return to winning ways

Robbie Tambling netted for Horndean    Picture: Neil Marshall
Robbie Tambling netted for Horndean Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Craig Pearce celebrated his first win as Horndean manager with a 6-1 home win over East Cowes Vics in the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Pearce recently took over at Five Heads Park after Dave Carter left for Moneyfields.

The tie was all over as a contest by half-time as Horndean stormed into a 4-0 lead with goals from Dan Hayes, Robbie Tambling, Robbie Pittman and Lee Tigwell.

Hayes set the ball rolling after nine minutes latching onto a Tambling through ball to send his shot past the advancing goalkeeper.

Six minutes later Tambling pounced onto a horrendous back-pass and rounded the keeper to add a second goal.

Horndean confirmed their superiority with two further goals before half-time.

The visitors showed some resistance by pulling a goal back ten minutes into the second period.

Pittman wasted a glorious chance in the 64th minute when he failed to score from the penalty spot.

Soon afterwards, Ian Humble also missed from the spot but was able to knock in the rebound.

Centre-half Nick Tayler completed the rout heading home in the final minute.

Horndean will travel to Totton & Eling in the next round.

In the Wessex League premier division, Fareham Town stopped the rot with a 2-1 win at Folland Sports.

Manager Steve Stone was delighted with the way his team reacted after recent disappointments.

‘This was a big win for us considering we were down to the barebones again,’ said Stone.

‘We needed the points and could have won by a few more.

‘I am chuffed for the players who came in though.’

Ashley Tattersall put the Reds in front after 25 minutes after being put through by Bradey Norton.

The home side scrambled home a 36th minute equaliser after a shot bounced back off the post.

Claude Da Costa produced an important save on the hour mark to prevent the Reds falling behind.

The visitors struck their decisive goal nine minutes from time following good work from Lewis Brailey and Simon Woods.

They combined to leave Norton with an easy tap-in.

The home side were reduced to 10 men four minutes from time and Fareham held out for three vitally-important points.