‘Sloppy’ Hawks beaten after losing their focus

Bradley Tarbuck put the Hawks ahead
Bradley Tarbuck put the Hawks ahead
Hawks have had lots to celebrate

Hawks see the hard work recognised

Have your say

LEE BRADBURY accused the Hawks of letting their standards slip in the disappointing 2-1 defeat at Harrow Borough.

Bradley Tarbuck’s 20-minute goal had put the visitors in the ascendancy but they let it slip in the second half.

The loss meant the Westleigh Park side were knocked off the top of the Ryman League premier division table.

Boss Bradbury felt his team gifted the win to their hosts.

He said: ‘We were sloppy and paid the price for it.

‘It is hugely disappointing to be leading 1-0 at half-time and lose the game.

‘We should have been out of sight by the half-way mark.

‘There were seven or eight good chances we failed to take.

‘We were not ruthless enough in both boxes.

‘In the second half we gave away a poor first goal by not clearing our lines when we had the chance.

‘If we feel we can let our standards drop then we will be punished.

‘At this stage of the season most of the teams are fighting for something and we have to make sure we remain fully focused.’

The visitors started as if they meant business and after good combination work between Wes Fogden and Brian Stock, Rory Williams fired over the top.

Alfie Rutherford should have at least hit the target after being released by a Jason Prior through ball.

The Hawks pressure finally paid off when they took a deserved 22nd-minute lead.

Prior won the ball and picked out Fogden on the edge of the Harrow area.

Fogden sent a delightful flick over the home defence for Bradley Tarbuck who scored with a tremendous shot across the goalkeeper into the far corner.

The visitors totally dominated the opening 45 minutes and fully deserved their interval lead.

But Harrow hit back to level the scores on 65 minutes.

They caught the Hawks out with a quick break down the left and when the cross came in, Lewis Driver slid the ball in at the near post to make it 1-1.

Then disaster struck six minutes from time.

The Hawks failed to deal with a corner and Harry Newman deflected the ball into the net for the winning goal.

HAWKS: Young, Woodford, Williams, Stock, Robinson, Harris, Fogden, Lewis, Prior, Rutherford, Tarbuck. Subs: Paterson, Barker, Molyneaux, Swallow, Carter

n Bognor regained top spot after winning 3-1 at Burgess Hill Town.

Five minutes before half-time the home side had Will Miles sent off.

James Fraser converted the resulting penalty and Chad Field added a second goal before the break.

After the break the hosts scored before Ollie Pearce sealed the win.