Hawks boss Shaun Gale. Picture: Mick Young
Hawks boss Shaun Gale. Picture: Mick Young
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Shaun Gale has rued the abysmal defending that cost his side three points at Weston-Super-Mate last night.

Ryan Woodford fired the Hawks into a first-half lead only for the hosts to hit back with two goals in 10 minutes after the restart.

And they added a third late on to complete a 3-1 win and leave Gale seething.

‘We were in control at the end of the first half,’ said the Westleigh Park boss.

‘Once again we came out and defended abysmally.

‘We haven’t started the second half right and conceded the penalty.

‘We should have regrouped but instead conceded another poor goal.

‘We are cutting our own throats at the moment and we have to address the situation quickly or we could find ourselves having a long, hard season. You find out about people when you’re not winning.

‘We are missing gilt-edged chances and I’m scratching my head at the moment.’

The Hawks made the trip to Weston without experienced players Lee Peacock and Sammy Igoe, who were both ruled out through injury.

Mark Nwokeji and Warren McBean replaced the duo in the starting line-up.

Gale was forced to reshuffle his pack further after just four minutes when Woodford replaced the injured Jon McDonald at left-back.

The visitors then had a let off when Nat Pepperell went clear down the right only to pull the ball back straight to a defender.

Sam Pearce had to make a last-ditch tackle to prevent the home side from capitalising on another flowing move before the Hawks wasted a glorious chance of their own.

Wes Fogden was the creator, as he set up Nwokeji with a clear chance but the striker lashed his shot horribly wide.

Craig Braham-Barrett then brought a low save from Lloyd Irish and Steve Ramsey fired low past the far post as the visitors gathered momentum.

The Hawks finally made their pressure count on 36 minutes as Ramsey drilled a free-kick across the box and Woodford hammered the ball into the roof of the net.

Pearce went close again before the interval but the hosts scrambled into the break just a single goal adrift.

And within 10 minutes of the restart it had all gone badly wrong for the Hawks.

Two minutes in, Paul Hinshelwood brought Jamie Price down inside the area to conceded a penalty, which striker Pepperell easily tucked away.

And then on 55 minutes, the Hawks found themselves behind.

Dale Grubb’s free-kick caused chaos in the Hawks defence and Ramsey diverted the ball against the upright.

In the ensuing scramble, Price bundled the ball over the line to give the hosts the lead.

Braham-Barrett headed just over the top and Hinshelwood flashed a 20-yard shot past the post as the Hawks desperately searched for an equaliser.

Fourteen minutes from time, Jones was sent on for the ineffective Nwokeji up front to try and force the matter.

But in the 88th minute, Sahr Kabba’s low shot fizzed past Ashmore and ended the visitors’ hopes.

HAWKS: Ashmore, Newton, McDonald, Hinshelwood, Holland, Pearce, Fogden, Ramsey, McBean, Nwokeji, Braham-Barrett. Subs: Scott, Eberendou, Beazely, Jones, Woodford

WESTON-SUPER-MARE: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Grubb, Villis, Laird, Ingram, Kirk, Mackay, Young, Pepperell. Subs: Diallo, Martin, Hunt, Kabba, Huxley