Students taught lesson by rampant Reds

Ash Tattersall, right. Picture: Habibur Rahman
Ash Tattersall, right. Picture: Habibur Rahman
Have your say

Fareham Town rattled off a fifth successive win in the Wessex League premier division with a 3-1 success at Team Solent on Saturday.

The Reds’ return to form continued thanks to goals from Callum Laycock, Simon Woods and Ash Tattersall.

The Cams Alders outfit have experienced a remarkable change in fortune since Pete Stiles took the helm.

Stiles is still to taste defeat in his tensure – with six wins and two draws under his belt from his eight games in charge.

On a blustery day, Fareham refused to allow their new-found confidence to be blown away and fully deserved the win over the students.

Stiles felt it was as good as he has seen from his team.

‘This has to be our best performance since I took over,’ said the boss.

‘If we had ended up scoring six goals it wouldn’t have flattered us.

‘Apart from 10 minutes at the end of the first half, we bossed the whole game.

‘We displayed tremendous energy and Team Solent just couldn’t handle us.

‘They have got a nice pitch and we were able to get the ball down and play our football.

‘The runs our forwards were making carved them open and we must have had at least 10 outstanding chances.’

Town started the game with intent and could have taken the lead after just three minutes when Josh Holmes had space in the box but his shot was straight at the Solent keeper.

The Reds did, however, take the lead in the 12th minute when Laycock rose highest to head Holmes’ corner from the right into the net.

The visitors kept up the pressure and on 20 minutes Woods had a shot saved by Fareham legend Lee Webber in the Solent goal.

Three minutes later Tattersall sent Jay Ripiner clear but once again the keeper stood firm. While Fareham were threatening going forward, their defence were comfortable during the first half.

The Reds started the second half in similar fashion – taking the game to their hosts.

Woods doubled the lead in the 51st minute – netting a rebound after an initial shot was saved.

The striker picked the ball up 10 yards out and coolly slotted it into the bottom right corner of the net

Just two minutes later the visitors wrapped up the game when Tattersall scored.

Curt Robbins poked the ball through and Tattersall dinked it past the oncoming Webber.

A delighted Stiles added: ‘My biggest headache is who to leave out at the moment.

‘The situation has changed completely and now players are ringing me up wanting to come and join us.’

Fareham Town: Douglas, Laycock, Pittman, Davis, James, Holmes, Martin, Ripiner, Robbins, Tattersall, Woods. Subs: Norton, Roberts, D Smith