Success for Services

Jordan Fancey handles on the line
Jordan Fancey handles on the line
Have your say

UNITED SERVICES lifted the Portsmouth Senior Cup with a dramatic 4-3 extra-time win over Moneyfields at Fratton Park last night.

The Wessex one underdogs saw off their higher-ranked opponents in an incident-packed contest.

Heavy rain during the day made for a soft Fratton Park surface but both teams were undeterred.

Moneys’ mission was to go one better than last season when they lost in the final to Horndean.

And the Wessex premier side dominated the early exchanges.

Former Pompey youngster Michael Birmingham was in creative mood but two good crosses were not converted.

Rob Evans then sent Jake Slater galloping through on goal.

Services defender Sean Newman was able to make ground, though, and block the ball for a corner.

Birmingham teed up George Gregory, with another fine delivery, but his header was over the top.

On 30 minutes, Services threatened for the first time.

A neat move ended with Matt Magro setting up Harry Bass who shot wide.

Just before the interval, Moneys pushed forward again.

Birmingham’s quickly taken free-kick put Sol Asajile in, only for his cross to fly high and wide.

On the stroke of half-time, Moneyfields paid the price for their wasteful finishing.

Services striker Perry Easton intercepted a loose ball, just outside the area, to power a shot beyond Moneys keeper Cameron Scott.

Brady’s men were buoyed by the goal. They came out firing after the interval and Moneys keeper Scott was regularly called upon.

However, Moneys hit back with a sucker punch.

Evans’ missile from 25 yards flashed into the net.

Moneys joint boss Calvin Hore, in charge with Paul Gregory for the cup campaign, introduced first team regulars Russ Rackley, the club skipper, and Conor Bailey from the bench.

But the move did not have the impact he hoped for.

Instead, it was Services who struck another blow.

And Moneys were reduced to 10 men in the process.

Jordan Fancey was red carded for handling Paul Stanley’s shot on the line.

Stanley himself stepped up to net a cool spot-kick.

It was game on, with Moneys inches away from an equaliser.

Evans’ low drive skidded wide.

Then came the late twist.

With the match entering injury-time, Moneys forced the additional 30 minutes, with a second equaliser.

Defender Jack Lee got forward to head home.

Brady’s battlers responded in style in extra-time.

Moneys keeper Scott flapped at a cross and the impressive Paul Stanley netted his second for 3-2.

Services then added a fourth before the first period of extra-time came to a close.

Russ Stanley found himself clear of the Moneyfields defence to fire low into the corner of the net.

Moneys striker George Gregory reduced the arrears late on, from the penalty spot, after Lee was fouled.

But Services closed out the final few minutes to win it.

MONEYFIELDS: Scott; Evans, Fancey, Page, Wain, Davis, Brown, Birmingham M, Slater, Gregory, Asajile. Subs: Needham, Leader, Rackley, Lee, Bailey.

UNITED SERVICES: Houkes; Sandham, Magro, Booker, Grice T, Newman, Grice L, Bass, Easton, Stanley P, Stanley R. Subs: Garnish, Davies, Holmes, Edwards, Thomas.

Referee: Tony Foster (Portchester).