Table-topping Southsea two good in the end

Jason Prior. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Truro put brakes on Hawks’ title bid

Have your say

Southsea left it late to move into top spot in division two with a 2-1 victory over a brave DCP United.

In the only Portsmouth Saturday League match to beat the recent poor weather, Southsea won the first corner after 10 minutes. Ryan Godley’s delivery was only half-cleared and Brad Sanders headed narrowly wide after the ball was played back into the box.

Godley then had a first-time snap-shot clear the bar and Ollie Nicholas drilled a shot off target after some neat Southsea build-up.

Southsea were dominating possession, with DCP looking for the quick breakaway in response. But as the match reached the half-hour mark, neither keeper had to make a save of note.

Godley looked certain to get the opener on 35 minutes. He reached a cross from Sanders but succeeded only in bundling the ball past the post from close range.

DCP finally managed their first effort on goal moments later, with Mike Everett drilling a low shot past the post from the edge of the box.

DCP looked brighter in the opening stages of the second half and a Matt Wilson piledrive from 25 yards flashed past the upright with the keeper beaten.

In a dramatic 60 seconds, a goal-bound effort by Southsea’s Matt Hickley was brilliantly headed off the line by defender Matt Ryan.

And DCP responded immediately by taking the lead. There looked little danger when Andy Oliver received the ball but he fired a cracker into the top corner from 35 yards.

It could have been 2-0 in 75 minutes when Oliver threaded the ball through to Everett but he snatched at his shot and the ball drifted wide.

DCP were allowing Southsea little time on the ball but they found an equaliser with eight minutes left.

Bill Cook picked out Sanders on the left with a superb pass, Harry Byrne took down his cross and left the keeper flat-footed with a shot that squeezed just inside the post.

With the match entering the final two minutes, Southsea then grabbed the winner.

Adam Simmonds outjumped the DCP defence and his back-header looped into the net.

Portsmouth Saturday League division two

Southsea United 2

DCP United 1