Three and easy for Borough against Abingdon

Callum Laycock opened the scoring for Gosport Borough
Callum Laycock opened the scoring for Gosport Borough
Share this article
Ryan Pennery in action for Gosport Borough against Stratford. Picture: Duncan Shepherd

Pike: Time is running out for Gosport Borough

Have your say

Gosport Borough enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win over Abingdon United at Privett Park.

Goals from Callum Laycock, Adam Wilde and Justin Bennett gifted Borough all three points and gave them their third straight win in the Southern League south & west division one.

From the kick-off, Abingdon nearly took a shock lead when Adam Kingsbeer let fly with a shot from 35 yards that beat Borough keeper Nathan Ashmore but lifted just inches over the crossbar.

After Borough responded with a free-kick from Bennett, Sam Packer went close at the other end with a header that drifted wide of the post.

One scare followed another as Borough managed to survive again – this time Packer meeting a Jack Smith cross, only to head wide with the goal at his mercy.

On 15 minutes, though, Borough hit back with the opening goal of the game.

A pinpoint cross from Wilde was flicked on by Bennett and Laycock was on hand to slot the ball home.

Lifted by the goal, Borough went close to doubling their advantage moments later when Bennett’s fierce drive was parried by keeper Farrow.

George Way attempted to fire home the rebound, but his effort was cleared off the line.

Ashmore came to Borough’s rescue five minutes after the half-time interval by twice saving at point-blank range from Sam Collier, who had drifted through unnoticed.

More pressure followed from the visitors, but as Borough’s defence panicked, Abingdon failed to find a route back into the match, with Collier and Packer both wasting decent chances.

And Collier must have thought it wasn’t to be his night when he neatly controlled a cross deep into the Borough penalty area before widely blazing over the bar.

On 80 minutes, Borough punished the visitors for their wastefulness in front of goal.

Ellis Martin sent Bennett racing clear, only to be upended in the visitors’ penalty area by Ricky Allaway.

Up stepped Wilde to take the resulting penalty kick, and he made no mistake to extend Borough’s lead.

Almost before the celebrations were over, Bennett then chased a Dan Wooden pass through the heart of the Abingdon defence before rounding Farrow and rolling the ball into an empty net to make the final score 3-0.

n In the Portsmouth Senior Cup, goals from Paul Stanley and Jack Gregory gave United Services a 2-0 win over Paulsgrove.