Unlucky 13 for Moneys

Steve Hutchings, centre. Picture: Mick Young
Steve Hutchings, centre. Picture: Mick Young
Rowan Vine. Picture: Keith Woodland

Vine calling for Gosport to fight to the finish

Have your say

Miles Rutherford admitted Winchester’s extra quality told as they ended Moneyfields’ long unbeaten run in the Wessex League premier division.

It was a case of unlucky 13 for the hosts as they were beaten 2-1 by the runaway league leaders at Dover Road.

After a wonderful 25-yard volley from Steve Hutchings gave Moneys the lead, two goals in the final 20 minutes condemned them to defeat.

Chris Mason and Jamie White did the damage, inflicting a first loss on Rutherford’s men since the teams last met back in December.

‘It was disappointing not to come away with at least a point,’ said the boss.

‘The first half was an even affair but Winchester showed why they are top after the break.

‘They grind out results week after week and possess that extra little bit of quality.

‘There were lots of positives to take from the game, though.

‘Steve’s strike was a quality goal and we caused them a few problems at the back at times.

‘But one goal was never going to be enough.’

Relegation-battling Horndean gave themselves a massive lift with a 3-1 win at Totton & Eling.

They moved six points clear of the bottom two with goals from Alex Miroy, Aaron Fennemore and Bryn McKie.

The result was all the more impressive as the Deans had been forced to make late changes because of injury and sickness.

And it left boss Dave Carter delighted.

‘It is a fantastic result for us and shows what we are capable of doing,’ he said.

‘I think we are a fair weather team because the conditions were perfect out there.

‘Chamal Fenelon was quality up front, creating two goals.’

Elsewhere, Fareham Town produced an impressive performance to easily beat seventh-placed Romsey Town 3-1 at Cams Alders.

Master marksman Graham Lindsey – recently returned from Winchester City – set them on their way with a 20th-minute penalty after Ash Tattershall was tripped in the area.

Three minutes before the break Matt Burt extended the lead.

And Tattersall beat the offside trap to add a third.

All Romsey could manage was a late consolation goal.