Vase dreams shattered

AFC Portchester boss Glen Bridgman clashed with the referee
AFC Portchester boss Glen Bridgman clashed with the referee
Craig McAllister was on target for Gosport Borough at Dunstable.

Gosport Borough give themselves survival lifeline with win at Dunstable Town

Have your say

Moneyfields manager Miles Rutherford blasted his side after their FA Vase hopes were shattered by a 3-0 defeat at Western League Gillingham Town.

A below-par Moneys left Rutherford totally exasperated.

‘We were awful,’ said the boss.

‘It was by far the worst performance since I have been in charge.

‘We didn’t pass the ball and there was little effort or spirit in our performance.

‘The game was over by half-time when we trailed 3-0, though Gillingham were so poor we could still have got back into it.

‘The second half wasn’t much better, though, and it was embarrassing.’

The home side took the lead with a 25-yard free-kick which flew through the visitors’ defensive wall.

They added two more before the break, taking advantage of Moneys’ poor defence.

Moneyfields’ misery was complete in the second half when young defender Jack Lee was sent off for two bookable offences.

Horndean also made a disappointing exit as they suffered a 2-1 defeat against 10-man Christchurch at Hurn Bridge.

In a sensational start, the home side had a player sent off for punching Bobby Hopkinson, after just two minutes.

Within five minutes, Gary Austin put Horndean in front and it looked plain sailing for the visitors.

However, it all went horribly wrong for Dave Carter’s side.

‘We made the mistake of thinking the game was won and stopped playing,’ said Carter.

‘Christchuch hit back to score twice before half-time and, to be honest, they could have had more.

‘In the second half we hit the post four times and had two good penalty shouts turned down.’

Fareham Town won 2-1 at division one Whitchurch United.

And it was easier for Fareham than the scoreline suggested.

Rob Tambling gave the Reds a 20th-minute lead with a good volley before a mistake by Jack Stevens gifted the hosts an equaliser before the break.

Stevens put in an all-action shift in the second half to make up for his indiscretion and Tom Winzar grabbed the winning goal.

‘We played pretty well and didn’t feel under any real threat,’ said Reds boss Matt Parr.

AFC Portchester manager Glen Bridgman was fuming with the referee as his side went out 3-1 against premier division outfit Bournemouth Poppies.

‘The referee sent me from the dugout and players from both teams (off) for swearing,’ said Bridgman.

‘The referee ruined the game for both teams.’

Portchester trailed 2-0 early in the second half before Jake Daniels pulled a goal back only for the hosts to give a bad goal away in the closing stages.

United Services weren’t helped by ferry delays as they lost 1-0 at Cowes Sports and Petersfield Town crashed 5-1 at home against Combined Counties visitors Hartley Wintney.