Wilson winner is just the job for Reds

Fareham Town's John Wilson. Picture: Paul Jacobs (14845-9)
Fareham Town's John Wilson. Picture: Paul Jacobs (14845-9)
Dave Carter

Moneyfields owe Uxbridge as players dig deep

Have your say

Fareham Town put a dismal week behind them with a 1-0 win over Whitchurch at Cams Alders on Saturday.

John Wilson secured the Wessex League premier division success with a second-half header.

And after three defeats in six days, Creeksiders boss Matt Parr conceded the result was far more important than the performance.

‘We needed that,’ he admitted after the match.

‘We’ve actually played quite well in our last three or four games – we battered Lymington on Tuesday – but confidence is a bit low.

‘Before the game we told the players we would have to cut out the expansive football and grind out a result.

‘They worked hard and it was a good finish from John.’

The home side dominated a first period in which keeper Luke Douglas was largely a bystander.

Wilson, Kieron Lewis and Lee Tigwell all missed good opportunities.

Then an unmarked Mat Jones spurned the best chance of the bunch – when he spooned his effort over the crossbar from just 12 yards.

Parr wasn’t worried his side had failed to capitalise on the stiff breeze blowing down the pitch in the first half, though.

‘It actually makes life more difficult as you end up chasing the ball and getting caught on the counter-attack,’ he said.

‘We decided not to commit too many bodies forward and see how things went after the break.’

Whitchurch looked more threatening with the breeze at their backs.

But it was the hosts who continued to create the better chances with efforts from Jones and Gary Austin.

The decisive moment finally came on 73 minutes when Wayne Boud swung over a corner and Wilson’s glancing header found the top corner.

The hosts had to endure a nervy finale as Scott Hassell and Nick Turpin went close to grabbing an equaliser.

But they held on for a confidence-boosting victory.