Woodford sees red but Fareham earn point

Fareham's Mark Cotton
Fareham's Mark Cotton
Ollie Pearce scored for Bognor in their match today. Picture: Tommy McMillan

Bognor get first win in six months

Have your say

Ten-man Fareham Town dug in to claim a 2-2 draw with Alresford Town in the Wessex League premier division last night.

Mark Cotton cancelled out the first-half opener from the visitors.

But the Reds had Ryan Woodford sent off in the second half.

They then went 2-1 up thanks to Ian Humble but this was quickly cancelled out as Alresford grabbed an equaliser.

To their credit, the 10-men continued to press for a winner but had to settle for a point.

It was a scrappy opening to the game, with both sides finding it difficult to create chances and lacking any real fluency.

Fareham’s Wayne Boud made sure Alresford’s keeper, Jarid Hixon, was alert, though.

His low-driven free-kick left the visiting keeper scrambling – only for the ball to sail narrowly wide.

The visitors took the lead inside 10 minutes when Jack Hooey skipped over a Humble tackle, but saw his shot rattle the post, only for Liam McGee to lash home the rebound.

Alresford could’ve been two-up minutes later.

But both Hooey and Scott Hills were denied by Reds keeper Luke Douglas.

Mark Cotton equalised for the Reds, when his effort from 20-yards took a fortunate ricochet and flew past the helpless Hixon.

Fareham then began to dictate the tempo of the game.

However, just after the half-hour mark, and against the run of play, Alresford almost regained the lead.

A neat through ball was latched onto by McGee, who saw his chipped effort headed clear by Fareham’s Louie Martin on the goal line.

McGee continued to cause havoc in the Fareham defence.

He again tested Douglas who was equal to it, meaning the sides went in level at the break.

The lively Woodford almost gave Fareham the lead during the opening exchanges of the second half.

But he couldn’t quite connect to Boud’s teasing cross.

Alresford were almost gifted the lead on the hour mark.

A superb cross from Alresford’s Byrne was headed towards goal by Fareham’s Humble, only for the alert Douglas to Palm the ball wide and away from danger.

Fareham’s night got a lot harder with a quarter of the game remaining.

They were reduced to 10 men after Woodford was deservedly given a straight red card for violent conduct.

However, Fareham took a deserved lead minutes later when Humble found himself unmarked at the back post and rifled home a superb Boud corner.

The home side were ahead for less than a minute.

Right from the kick-off Byrne found himself inside the Fareham box, courtesy of a McGee cross, and rifled past Douglas.

Chances were at a premium for both sides throughout the second half.

But Fareham substitute Jordan Neal was given an opportunity thanks to some sloppy defending.

However, his shot was superbly saved by Hixon at his near post.

Fareham kept up the pressure but Alresford held on to share the points.

FAREHAM: Luke Douglas, Wayne Boud, Ian Humble, Louis Martin, George Colson, Rudi Plummer, Ryan Woodford, Mark Wheeler, Liam Bradbury, Mark Cotton, Matt Page. Subs: James Ford, Jordan Neal, Brad Doyle, Adam Sinclair, James Hunt.