Paul Doswell sees red as Hawks draw at Concord Rangers

The Hawks maintained their unbeaten National League South unbeaten away record following a goalless draw against Concord Rangers at the Aspect Arena.

Friday, 31st January 2020, 11:11 am
Updated Saturday, 1st February 2020, 5:17 pm
Hawks boss Paul Doswell was sent off late in the game. Picture: Dave Haines

After a dire first half, the game opened up but neither side could break the deadlock.

The visitors handed new-signing Bedsente Gomis his debut with Wes Fogden injured.

Meanwhile, Jonah Ayunga and Craig Robson re-appeared among the substitutes after spells out injured.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Early on there was little goalmouth action as the two teams tentatively felt their way into the game.

Nathan Carlyle overlapped down the right for the Beachboys, but Hawks keeper Ross Worner easily cleared his cross into the box.

It was the visitors who applied the first period of sustained pressure, though, with Josh Taylor and Alfie Rutherford having goal-bound shots deflected for corners.

On 21 minutes the Hawks conceded a free-kick right on the edge of their area.

But James Blanchfield delivery was headed over the bar.

Soon afterwards Rutherford crossed and Sam Magri flicked the ball over the top.

Six minutes before the break, the Hawks went close when Danny Kedwell shot into the side netting.

The visitors made a double-change at the start of the second half, with Andy Drury and Ayunga replacing Bradley Tarbuck and Rutherford.

But it was the Beachboys who started the second period on the front foot.

Lamar Reynolds turned his defender inside out before forcing a good save from Worner.

Both teams then created chances in quick succession.

Kit Elliott headed wide following a free-kick, while at the other end Simon Walton's shot was tipped over the bar.

Elliott then shot straight at Worner after a mistake by Walton let him in.

Despite slipping, Ayunga got in a good shot which was held by the home keeper.

It developed into an end-to-end affair as both teams pushed to make the breakthrough.

Worner saved twice in the final three minutes to keep the Hawks on terms.

That was before manager Paul Doswell was sent from the dug out in stoppage-time as the game ended goalless.