Pearce keeps clean sheet as Gosport cruise to victory

GOSPORT BOROUGH were forced to play defender Sam Pearce in goal as they powered to a 4-0 win at Eversley and California in the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 11:22 pm
Updated Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 4:43 pm
Sam Pearce played in goal for Gosport

The centre-back was drafted in at the last minute after regular goalkeeper Martin Rice picked up a foot injury.

Pearce had a comfortable evening against the Combined Counties side, though, and was only called into action once all game.

‘It was a bit of a shock beforehand having to change our goalkeeper,’ said Borough’s assistant manager Mick Catlin.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘At no time did we feel under any threat.

‘For us it was a useful exercise because we haven’t had a game for 10 days.

‘It helped us blow away some of the cobwebs ready for our tough league trip to St Albans City.’

Borough needed just 23 seconds to take the lead with recalled striker Warren Bentley dinking his shot past the home goalkeeper.

After 10 minutes Aaron Dawson extended Borough’s lead with another calm composed finish from inside the area.

Jamie Barron added a third goal before the break with another piece of clinical finishing after the first shot from Ollie Bailey was deflected to him.

In the second half substitute Dan Wooden completed the scoring with a penalty.

Meanwhile, Petersfield slipped to a 3-2 defeat to Basingstoke in the first round of the Southern League Cup at Love Lane.

The Rams took the lead after five minutes when Callum Coker headed the ball into the net.

Basingstoke equalised on 18 minutes.

George Hallahan beat the offside trap to shoot low into the net.

Basingstoke got in front on 54 minutes when Adam Francis, son of former Spurs boss Gerry who was watching on, shot low into the net.

On 66 minutes Petersfield made it 2-2 when Dan Simmonds was fouled in the box and smashed his penalty low into the corner of the net.

But Basingstoke regained the lead three minutes later.

Harry Brown shot low into the net.

Moneyfields striker Gary Austin hit a hat-trick to see off United Services B 4-1 in the Portsmouth Senior Cup.

Lee Tigwell also netted for Moneys.

Jake Raine netted an own goal in the final minute for the Sailors.

‘We dominated the game from start to finish,’ said Moneys boss Dave Carter.

‘Up front 17-year-old Harry Tumbler did well for us.’