Penfold strikes twice as Eastney first team win club derby to make cup progress

Freddy Penfold scored twice as AFC Eastney beat AFC Eastney Reserves 5-3 in the Adelaide Cup.

Friday, 9th November 2018, 11:57 am
Updated Monday, 12th November 2018, 1:45 pm
Horndean Utd beat Vesper 3-1 at Farlington in the Portsmouth Sunday League division two. Picture: Kevin Shipp
Horndean Utd beat Vesper 3-1 at Farlington in the Portsmouth Sunday League division two. Picture: Kevin Shipp

It was a close contest with the first team just taking the victory.

Jimmy Toovey, Cliff Little and Mitchell Smith also netted.

Replying for the reserves were Barry Jeans with two and Aiden Lees.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The other second round tie saw Jameson Arms go through to the quarter-finals with a convincing 7-0 win over North End Lions.

Frankie Kemp, Liam Kyle, Michael Kelly, George Chandler, Harvey Cooper all scored.

Jack Robinson netted two to wrap up the success. 

In the Hampshire Senior Cup only Wicor Mill and Milton Rovers progressed to the next round.

Milton's Dean Harris helped himself to a hat-trick in their 5-1 win over Bittern Ducks.

Chaz Gardener and George Pharoah got the other goals.

Wicor ran out 2-1 winners over Watersedge Park with Dan George and Josh Holmes netting.

Freehouse Res went through on penalties against Pickwick in the Hampshire Intermediate Cup.

After 90 minutes the score was 4-4.

Goals for Freehouse were scored by Mauro Morais, with two, Bradley Willett and Alfie Fisher. 

A late goal from Stevie Mitchell earned Cross Keys Athletic a 2-1 comeback win against Titchfield.

Ross Phelpsy set up the winner which came after a strong push in the latter stages of the game.

Joey Payne was also on target for Keys.

His goal had made it 1-1 as he cancelled out the early penalty goal from the opposition.

In the Intermediate Cup Purbrook Utd recorded a 4-1 win against Bournemouth Athletic.

Ashley Willis and Jarred Gibbons both scored two goals each.

Jano Ibrahim netted twice with Daniel Edwards and Julian Atanassoy both on the mark as DCC Utd earned a 4-2 win against AFC Buton.

Goals from Will Stephens, Ala Ben Salha and Albert Owei saw Bowood progress with a 3-1 win against North End Cosmos.

Other teams to go through were AFC Southdowns and Southsea Bronx.

AFC Lovedean progressed to the next round of the Hampshire Junior Cup with a 6-3 win against Riverside.

Even with a few players missing they raced into a 5-0 lead within the first 25 minutes.

Luke Thomas took his tally to 24 goals this season with five and Jamie Arnold netted the other.

FFC progressed in the Hampshire Junior Cup with a 4-2 win against Whiteley Reserves at Rugby Camp.

Whiteley started brightly putting FFC under early pressure and took the lead on 10 minutes with a shot from just inside the box.

FFC responded and equalised on 20 minutes when Dan Swan scored from close range.

And just before half-time the same player again scored after a great cross from Chas Whiting.

FFC pulled further ahead shortly after the break when Dan Swan's cross was swept home by Mike Jepson.

Whiteley struck again with 15 minutes of the match left to put the result in doubt.

But FFC's two substitutes Dan Mortimer and Nathan New combined to wrap up the victory.

Mortimer's great cross was headed home by New.

Co-op Dragons travelled to Southampton to take on Southern Sports in the same competition and after a 2-2 draw they triumphed 3-1 in the penalty shootout.

Dragons goals in normal time were scored by Gavin Bater and Matt Allen.

Liam Spencer, Kane Green and Gregg Betts were all on target for FC Lakeside in a 3-1 away win against AC Meon.

With the scores at 0-0 at full-time it was down to Robert Mullen to score the wining penalty in FC Firhill's win against Embley Park from Southampton.

Another team to go through from the Portsmouth Sunday League were Prospect Farm Rangers.

They came back from 1-0 down at half-time against Poole side New Milton Borough to win 5-3.

Blake Bicknell scored a hat-trick and Leon Portrer netted twice.

In the league division two side Horndean Utd gained their first points of the season with a 3-1 win over Vesper.

A superb second-half showing made the difference for the victors.

After controlling the game for large periods Adam Russell opened the scoring early in the second half.

Vesper came back soon after to equalise.

Then two goals in three minutes turned the game in Horndean's favour.

Firstly a 30-yard screamer from Kieron Griffin and then a well-placed low drive from Jake Burley made it 3-1.

In division four AC FC are now top after a hard-fought 4-3 win over Cross Keys Res.

Christian Hannam scored twice with Craig Berryman and Dom Calvert also on target.

In division five Quay FC are still looking for their first points of the season.

They were close to getting a draw but just lost out 2-1 to Fratton Trades Res.

Tom Cork and Brandon Baker got the goals for Trades with Steve Mabbs replying for the Quay.