Petersfield produce a shock win in last four of Portsmouth Senior Cup

PETERSFIELD produced a performance against the odds to come from behind and beat Moneyfields to reach the Portsmouth Senior Cup Final.

Tuesday, 21st March 2017, 10:27 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:04 am
Billy Connor in action for Petersfield Town Picture: Malcolm Wells

A second-half brace from Ryan Woodford and goals from Adam Cripps and Max Smith earned the Rams a 4-1 victory at Love Lane, their first win since November in all competitions.

The match started out as an even affair with most of the game played in the midfield area.

But it was Moneyfields who drew first blood after 17 minutes following a smart piece of play from the left.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The hosts worked the ball into the box which found Jake Raine, who steadied himself before firing past Conor Beattie from a tight angle.

Moneyfields went close to doubling their lead two minutes before the break.

Steve Hutchins broke clear on the right but Beattie was quick to react and raced off his lined to block the ball for a corner.

Petersfield reacted well to their half-time team talk instructions and came out for the second period with a spring in their step.

In the 52nd minute Matt Andrews had a shot turned around the post for a corner.

After having an effort blocked on the line from the set-piece, the ball fell to Adam Cripps. He kept his nerve to put the ball into the back of the net to draw his side level.

The visitors continued to pour the pressure on Moneyfields and got themselves in front with 19 minutes remaining.

The ball was crossed in from the left and Woodford rifled his effort into the top corner.

The Rams gave themselves breathing space on 79 minutes when Andrews chased the ball down on the left-wing. He whipped his cross towards Woodford, who headed home to score his second of the match.

And the game was wrapped up when Max Smith intercepted Moneyfields’ Dan Woodward backpass.

Smith calmly took the ball around the goalkeeper and rolled it in to the empty net.

Petersfield will meet the Hawks in the final at Fratton Park, which is pencilled in for May 23.