Rams on wrong end of result...Moneys remain unbeaten

Nathan Paxton was on target for Moneyfields    Picture: Allan Hutchings
Nathan Paxton was on target for Moneyfields Picture: Allan Hutchings
Have your say

Petersfield Town’s Southern League central division one problems continued as they fell to a 3-0 defeat at Egham tonight.

And the visitors – second from bottom in the early-season standings – could have few complaints at the result.

Hosts Egham took the lead after 15 minutes when the Rams’ defence was caught napping.

Brendan Matthew was the beneficiary as he got in behind them, before rolling a shot under Petersfield keeper Aaron Bufton and into the net.

To their credit, the visitors showed their intent to find an equaliser, with Callum Coker and Dan Simmons looking lively upfront – albeit without truly testing the Egham rearguard.

Petersfield’s hopes of picking up a valuable point on the road all but ended immediately after the interval, though, when they conceded in the first minute of the second half.

Egham won the ball on the left-hand side and worked it quickly to the edge of the penalty area where that man Matthew was on hand once again to dispatch a fiercely-struck effort into the top right-hand corner of the net.

The home side’s persistance then provided their third goal of the evening on 51 minutes to kill the game off.

Dominating possession, Egham kept moving the ball forward and after one shot was partically blocked it bounced up kindly to the grateful Reece Yorke, who looped his header over Bufton and into the unguarded net.

Unbeaten Wessex League premier division leaders Moneyfields were indebted to a late equaliser from Nathan Paxton as they rescued a 2-2 draw at Newport IoW.

Dave Carter’s side appeared on course to complete a ninth-straight league win when striker Gary Austin had them ahead at half-time.

But when the Islanders turned the game on its head in the second half, Moneys were grateful to emerge with the unbeaten record intact – with Paxton’s stunning late strike maintaining their place on top of the pile.

Contrastingly, AFC Portchester were forced to settle for a 3-3 draw after conceding a last-minute equaliser at Sholing.

The visitors led 3-1 thanks to goals from Joe Bye, Jake Peppel and Miles Everett but were frustratingly unable to protect their two-goal lead.

Elsewhere, Callum Dart scored twice as Baffins Milton Rovers thrashed New Milton Town 4-0 in Wessex League division one.

Ryan Pennery and an own goal completed the scoring.

United Services Portsmouth beat Christchurch 2-1 thanks to goals from Declan Seiden and a Sean Snelling penalty.