Blues undone by Charlton

Pompey skipper Johnny Ertl battles for the ball with Charlton's Danny Green Picture: Joe Pepler
Pompey skipper Johnny Ertl battles for the ball with Charlton's Danny Green Picture: Joe Pepler
Former Rotherham boss Kenny Jackett Picture: Bruce Rollinson

Pompey boss: No grudges on Rotherham return

Have your say

Pompey’s pre-season preparations took a setback as they were beaten 3-0 at home by Charlton Athletic.

While the Blues lived with their Championship opponents for long spells, they were ultimately beaten by the better side who just had extra gears when they needed them.

A first-half header from Bradley Pritchard broke the deadlock before second half strikes from Callum Harriott and a penalty from Yann Kermorgant settled the game.

Charlton took the lead 11 minutes before the break as Pompey were caught on the break and Pritchard nodded home from close range.

Mark Gower released Cedric Evina down the left flank and he picked out a deep cross to the far post to give Pritchard an easy task, despite Blues keeper John Sullivan’s appeals for handball.

Charlton might easily have extended their lead before half-time as Harriott - who had missed an absolute sitter in the first 10 minutes - forced a good save out of Sullivan, while Souleymane Harriott had an effort ruled out for offside.

But the London club doubled their advantage midway through the second half after Dan Butler conceded a needless free-kick out near the corner flag.

Johnnie Jackson’s cross was headed away but Harriott drove home a fierce shot through a ruck of bodies to find the back of the net in emphatic style.

It went from bad to worse soon afterwards as substitute Adam Webster clumsily bundled over Chris Solly inside the penalty box for a cast iron spot-kick, which was subsequently despatched by Kermorgant.

But in front of a bumper 8,557 crowd on a sun-soaked afternoon, Pompey failed to really trouble Charlton keeper Ben Hamer at any stage.

Jed Wallace tried his luck from long range on a couple of occasions and Patrick Agyemang added something when he came on as substitute, but a speculative Romain Padovani volley was probably the closest they came to scoring as Charlton deal with everything that came ther way.