Chief sports writer Neil Allen delivers his verdict on who was hot or not in last night’s Carabao Cup clash.
Luke McGee: Some good stops 8
Drew Talbot: So solid 7
Christian Burgess: Tower of strength 8
Jack Whatmough: Never fazed 7
Brandon Haunstrup (Ben Close, 115mins): Stuck at it well 7
Danny Rose: Tireless, non-stop display 9
Adam May: Used ball superbly 8
Gareth Evans: Always an outlet 7
Brett Pitman (Conor Chaplin, 114mins): Some lovely touches 7
Kyle Bennett (Carl Baker, 98mins): Excellent energy 7
Kal Naismith (Nicke Kabamba, 65mins: Put himself about 6): Looked capable of creating 7
Subs not used: Alex Bass, Tom Davies, Curtis Main
Brian Murphy: Always susceptible 6 (booked)
Greg Halford: Unlikely matchwinner 8
Sean Morrison: Calamitous own goal 6
Bruno Ecuele Manga: Powerful presence 7
Jazz Richards: Very confident 7
Matthew Kennedy (Junior Hoilett, 87mins): So bright and dangerous 8
Loic Damour (Joe Ralls, 102mins): Grew into game 7
Stuart O’Keefe: Barely involved 6
Lee Tomlin (Ibrahim Meite, 97mins): Always a threat 8
Anthony Pilkington (Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, 46mins: Made massive difference 9): Game passed him by 5
Danny Ward: Gave it everything 7
Subs not used: Neil Etheridge, Lee Peltier, Cameron Coxe.
• Attendance: 6,592 (851 away)
• Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire): Very good display 8
• MoM: Danny Rose: Industrious in Pompey’s engine room, demonstrating tremendous fight and work-rate throughout the game’s lengthy duration.
• We Want Him: Nathaniel Mendez-Laing: Introduced at half-time and lifted his team almost single-handedly. Levelled match and provided constant problems.
• We Don’t Want Him: Anthony Pilkington: Cut an anonymous attacking figure, barely involved. No surprise to see him substituted at the interval.
• Magic Moment: Sean Morrison crashed Kal Naismith’s cross into his own net and suddenly the visitors had the lead at a stunned Cardiff City Stadium, fully deserved too.
• Their Manager: Neil Warnock: Turned his side’s performance around with half-time team talk and Mendez-Laing introduction.