Michael Appleton’s hopes of recruiting three new players have been boosted after receiving £40,000 worth of pledges.
The Blues boss had appealed for supporters and local businesses to come to the rescue after being told by administrator Trevor Birch he has spent his player budget.
Appleton is desperate for around £60,000 to fund the wages of a trio of long-time targets up until January, swelling his squad to 20 players.
Within hours of that plea, one fan contacted The News with a pledge of £10,000.
A second has been in touch with Mick Williams – from the Pompey Trust – offering an additional £30,000.
And Appleton is delighted with the tremendous response from supporters so far.
He said: ‘Thank you so, so much – that just sums up Portsmouth since I have come into the football club.
‘You only have to go back to the trip to Spain and Gibraltar, and the majority of that was funded by a supporter and local businessman.
‘If I can bring three more players in that would be fantastic. Obviously I need to do a lot of persuading, I need to get the begging bowl out.
‘I think I’ve already done that a couple of times – ask a few favours and see where we come to.
‘The money has run out in terms of what Trevor has said to me.
‘So if there is anyone out there who wants to help us until January, I’m sure that will also help the club in the long term.
‘I will be working hard trying to convince people we need to get these players in before Saturday. If not, we’ll be getting them in before a week on Saturday.’