Freak Goldson goal sees off Pompey

Ben Chorley wins a header during today's game Picture: Joe Pepler
Ben Chorley wins a header during today's game Picture: Joe Pepler
Gino van Kessel scores for Oxford United in their 3-0 win over Pompey in August. Picture: Joe Pepler

Oxford won’t appeal for Pompey postponement despite international call-ups

Have your say

A fortuitous winner from Connor Goldson sent Pompey spinning to unfortunate defeat at Shrewsbury today.

Goldson’s 72nd-minute cross flew straight in to give the home side a 2-1 win at Greenhous Meadow.

That was after Jed Wallace had handed Andy Awford’s men a second-minute advantage from the spot.

That ended a run of 463 minutes without a goal on the road in the league for the Blues.

But slow reaction to a blocked free-kick allowed James Wesolowski to level for the Shrews 12 minutes later.

Goldson’s decisive effort was harsh on a Pompey side who had matched Micky Mellon’s men, who are unbeaten at home this season.

It proved a ferocious start at Greenhous Meadow as Pompey flew out of the blocks.

Paul Robinson looked to have put the visitors in front after just two minutes.

But Shrews keeper Jayson Leutwiler pulled out a top drawer stop to keep out what looked a goal all the way from the defender’s header.

It mattered little for Pompey, though, as Mickey Demetriou handled from the resulting corner and ref Dean Whitestone pointed to spot.

Wallace showed no hesitation as he sent Leutwiler the wrong way for the opener.

The home side were level, though, after 14 minutes when a free-kick was blocked and Pompey were slow to close Wesolowski.

The midfielder had time to compose himself, and he made no mistake as he blasted through a number of bodies to beat Paul Jones.

That was the cue for Micky Mellon’s side to assume control and enjoy a period of pressure.

But Pompey held firm to the break and were producing their own decent passing themselves in an entertaining spectacle.

James Dunne quickly fired wide from 25 yards moments after the restart.

And there was no one to get on Nicky Shorey’s dangerous free-kick after 60 minutes.

Jones was alert to save Bobby Grant’s free-kick two minutes later.

But the Shrews took the lead with 18 minutes left when Goldson’s cross sailed in.

Jean-Louis Akpa Apro should have settled it with 11 minutes left - but blazed Jordan Clark’s cutback over.

Pompey delivered a late charge with old boy Liam Lawrence clearing off the line at the death.

But the leveller wouldn’t arrive to leave the unfortunate Blues empty handed.