Jed joy as Pompey deny leaders

Jed Wallace fires in Pompey's leveller in the 1-1 draw at Doncaster   Picture: Joe Pepler
Jed Wallace fires in Pompey's leveller in the 1-1 draw at Doncaster Picture: Joe Pepler
Pompey's Brett Pitman celebrates after scoring his second goal in their 2-0 win at Oldham. Picture: Joe Pepler/Digital South

Oldham 0 Pompey 2: they said what?

Have your say

Jed Wallace’s strike grabbed a point for Pompey at leaders Doncaster Rovers.

The teenager surged into the box to slide home Patrick Agyemang’s cross in the 75th minute to seal a 1-1 draw.

Guy Whittingham’s men had been trailing since Chris Brown’s 37th-minute strike to cap a poor first half for the visitors.

After the break, though, they were a very different side, although still took until the 71st minute for their first on-target attempt against Rovers.

Then Wallace swooped to net his third goal for the Blues and maintain their impressive form of late under Whittingham.

Although it did take a tremendous 88th-minute flying save from Simon Eastwood from substitute Dean Furman to make sure of the point.

Whittingham kept an unchanged side for the fourth match in a row as he resisted any urge to freshen things up.

Meanwhile, John Akinde returned following illness to take a place on the seven-man bench, ensuring all 18 members of the Blues’ squad were available.

When the match got under way, it was a slow start with little in the way of quality or goalmouth action.

In the 20th minute, though, Rob Jones had a great far-post opportunity to break the deadlock, but headed David Cotterill’s free-kick wide.

Simon Eastwood then had to rush out to block Billy Paynter’s shot after Cotterill’s through ball sent him bearing down on goal with plenty of time.

Rovers did take the lead, though, on 37 minutes when Cotterill’s ball in from the right was poked in at the near post by Brown.

It would be 44 minutes before Pompey would have their first attempt on goal, Therry Racon sending a 25-yarder well over the bar, as they headed into the break 1-0 down.

The visitors improved after half-time but Eastwood was called into action in the 61st minute to beat out Cotterill’s 20-yard drive, Jones putting the follow-up wide.

Gary Woods was finally called into action in the 72nd minute after John Lundstram completely missed his kick 20 yards out,

Racon pounced with a fierce half-volley which the keeper struggled to hold and it was cleared at the second attempt.

Pompey had their equaliser in the 75th minute when Patrick Agyemang surged down the right and squared for Wallace to steer home first-time.

League One


POMPEY 1 (Wallace 75)

Att: 7,604 (563 away fans)