Jervis and Taylor boost Plymouth title bid - League Two review

Jake Jervis scored for Plymouth against Exeter
Jake Jervis scored for Plymouth against Exeter
Have your say

Plymouth closed the gap on league-leaders Doncaster, who drew 0-0 with Newport on Friday night, after a 3-0 victory over rivals Exeter on Saturday.

First-half goals from Matthew Kennedy and Ryan Taylor and a stoppage-time penalty from Jake Jervis were enough for the home side to secure all three points and move within three points of Doncaster.

Former Pompey striker Taylor has insisted the Pilgrims must keep stretching the gap on their rivals to ensure they earn automatic promotion.

Speaking to the Plymouth Herald, he said: ‘We needed it (the win) to open that gap up a bit more.

‘It’s 11 points now between us and fourth place.

‘It’s a very nice gap but we have to keep pushing on now and hopefully get promotion at the end of the season.’

Blackpool secured their fist league win since Boxing Day with a 4-1 success over third-placed Carlisle.

Goals from former Carlisle player Brad Potts and on-loan midfielder Jordan Flores gave the visitors a comfortable lead but, after Jabo Ibehre pulled a goal back for the hosts, Sanmi Odelusi and Nathan Delfouneso made sure Blackpool were travelling back to Lancashire with all three points.

The victory will be a boost to the team who play Pompey on Tuesday are now 11th in the League Two table.

Stevenage secured their third league victory in a row with a 3-0 win over Wycombe, who slipped out of the play-off places as a result.

A header from Steven Schumacher opened the scoring on 25 minutes and the hosts were awarded a penalty after Dominic Gape brought down Tom Pett in the area.

Matt Godden converted the penalty on the stroke of half-time and Stevenage secured the victory on 49 minutes when Pett’s left-footed shot went past Wycombe goalkeeper Jamal Blackman.

John Akinde’s late goal came too late for Barnet who were defeated by Colchester.

Goals from Kurtis Guthrie and Brennan Dickenson saw the hosts get back to winning ways with a 2-1 victory.

Mansfield moved into the play-off places following their 4-0 win over Hartlepool at the One Call Stadium.

A brace from Benjamin Whiteman and goals from Danny Rose and Alex MacDonald secured the victory in a game which saw Hartlepool struggle to get any chances on goal.

Leyton Orient halted their six-game losing streak with a 1-1 draw against Yeovil.

Gavin Massey’s 88th-minute goal cancelled out Francois Zoko’s goal on the stroke of half-time.

Luton came from behind to steal three points from Crawley.

James Collins opened the scoring on the hour mark for the visitors but Danny Hylton scored a brace in six second-half minutes to move the hosts up to fourth in the table.

A brace from Kevin Ellison gave Morecambe a 2-0 win over Cambridge, who fell to their fourth straight league defeat, and Notts County, who were just one point above the relegation zone at the start of the day were 2-1 winners over Cheltenham.

Jon Stead and Richard Duffy scored for County, with Emmanuel Onariase on the scoresheet for Cheltenham.

Crewe secured their first League Two victory since November with an emphatic 5-0 win over Grimsby at Gresty Road.

First-half braces from George Cooper and Chris Dagnall saw the hosts take a 4-0 lead before the half-hour mark.

And Grimsby, despite five shots on target, could not get back into the game.

Callum Cooke rounded off the scoring with three minutes left.

He was found unmarked in the box and his shot in the bottom left corner could not be saved.

The win saw Crewe climb away from danger and into 18th place in the standings.