Late leveller denies Pompey Cup win

Have your say

Pompey came within two minutes of taking Championship promotion-chasers Ipswich’s scalp today.

The Blues picked up a 2-2 draw at Portman Road in a pulsating FA Cup third-round clash.

Kyle Bennett celebrates his goal at Portman Road Picture: Joe Pepler

Kyle Bennett celebrates his goal at Portman Road Picture: Joe Pepler

All the goals came after the break with Tommy Oar putting the home side in front after 53 minutes before Kyle Bennett delivered a quickfire response.

Conor Chaplin then sent the 2,494 travelling fans into raptures with four minutes left after a lovely finish from the edge of the box.

But Brian Murphy then misjudged Ryan Fraser’s free-kick after 88 minutes to see a replay needed.

It was rough justice on an excellent Pompey side who delivered an outstanding footballing display in front of a crowd of 17,020.

It was a first half of dominance from the visitors.

The only frustration was there wasn’t a Pompey goal for their superior play.

Marc McNulty had an early chance blocked by Paul Digby, before Adam McGurk headed wide at the back post.

Gary Roberts then headed over from Enda Stevens’ cross after 20 minutes as Pompey continued to press.

Luke Varney fired at Brian Murphy five minutes later in the first chance for the home side.

But ole football then ended with Adam Barton putting McNulty clear. Bart Bialkowslki was equal to his angled drive.

Kyle Bennett had a stinging drive saved six minutes before the break as Cook’s side continued to control proceedings.

Roberts should have done better from McNulty’s ball just before the break, but fired wide from inside the box.

Unsurprisingly, there were boos from the home fans at the interval.

But the Ipswich fans were cheering eight minutes after the restart as Tommy Oar broke the deadlock.

Murphy did superbly to keep out Brett Pitman’s drive after a mistake from Adam Webster, but Oar swept in the rebound.

The response from Pompey was rapid, though, as Roberts and McNulty combined to put Bennett clear who tucked away a first-time finish.

Bennett then saw his dangerous ball fly across the face of goal before McNulty’s prodded first-time effort was kept out by Bialkowski.

Pompey then sent on three youngsters in the shape of Adam May, Brandon Haunstrup and Conor Chaplin.

Ryan Fraser saw his shot deflected for a corner after a drive into the box with eight minutes left.

Then the game delivered another dramatic passage as Chaplin put his side in front with a lovely angled daisycutter from the edge of the box with four minutes left.

This time the home side responded with Murphy misjudging Ryan Fraser’s free-kick and the ball sailing into the net two minutes later.

That was a dagger blow with the game ending all square after 90 minutes of football where Pompey deserved victory.