McGurk on target to earn Pompey Cup joy

Adam McGurk celebrates his goal Picture: Joe Pepler
Adam McGurk celebrates his goal Picture: Joe Pepler
Have your say

Adam McGurk’s first-half strike fired Pompey into the FA Cup third round.

The attacker’s sixth goal of the season made the difference as the Blues grabbed a 1-0 win over Accrington Stanley.

The outstanding Marc McNulty provided the goal, as he again shone for Paul Cook’s men.

The game sprang to life with McGurk’s 21st-minute effort.

The second half proved a scrappier affair, but Pompey looked largely comfortable as they progressed.

McNulty served his intent when he flashed a header over the bar after five minutes.

But it was largely quiet start to the game, although Michael Doyle fired a smart free-kick routine wide after 12 minutes.

The game sprang to life after 21 minutes, though when McGurk fired his side in front.

It was McNulty’s pace which created the opening as he blazed down the right. Bennett missed his cross but McGurk arrived at the back stick and made no mistake.

The excellent McNulty then streaked clear but rolled his shot inches wide.

And the loanee then saw his header come back off the bar from Ben Davies’ free-kick.

Accrington finished the half strongly with Billy Kee seeing a hat-trick of chances go just wide.

And Tom Davies headed just over the top late on, but Pompey went in at half-time in front.

McNulty and Hollands combined after the restart but Hollands rolled his shot wide from the edge of the box.

Bennett then saw his shot saved from 30 yards saved, before McGurk wasted a great chance for the second goal.

McNulty did all the hard work to break clear and square to his team-mate, but Mooney kept out his first-time effort.

The Scot, nicknamed Sparky, then had a tussle with Tom Davies as tempers became frayed.

Bennett then stung Mooney’s hands with a 25 yarder.

Play was stopped late on as referee Kevin Johnson went off injured.

That led to seven minutes of stoppage time where sub Terry Gornall had a decent chance to level, but Murphy held his effort - and Pompey progressed.