JAMIE ASHDOWN will not be returning to Pompey.
The Blues have declined offering their former keeper a route back to Fratton Park.
Ashdown has announced there is not contract in the offing for him next season, after he joined his old club for training this week.
The 35-year-old has been out of the game since last year and was hopeful of rejuvenating his career at Pompey. That will not be the case, however.
Ashdown said in a statement: ‘I want to wish everyone at Portsmouth FC good luck and hopefully a successful session ahead.
‘Unfortunately the club are not in a position to offer me a contract.
‘I’ve had a great time and it was nice to train again with Portsmouth, it brings back a lot of positive memories of my time there, especially some of the old faces that are still there.
‘I was offered to go back and resume training on Monday but I’m not in a position to take any more time off work without knowing a contract is there.
‘In a perfect world I would of been delighted to train and play for the whole of pre-season if I could of.
‘I know I can walk away with my head held high knowing I’ve fulfilled a week’s training like was discussed.
‘If I hadn’t put myself out there and gave it a shot again I would of kicked myself and said “what if”.’
It remains unclear now if Ashdown will try his luck elsewhere.
He added: ‘At this stage I don’t know if I will try to find another club here in the UK as I felt I was destined to play for Pompey again.
‘And with all the fans that have personally messaged me to ask if I would do it again, you were the reason why I gave it shot. A heavy-hearted day but, like all things, life must go on. Thanks to all and good luck.’