Chief sports writer Neil Allen runs the rule over the players in last night’s clash at Sixfields.
Luke McGee: Will question his display 4
Nathan Thompson: Very solid 7
Christian Burgess: Grew into game 7
Matt Clarke: Pick of defence despite own goal 8
Damien McCrory: Looks a good recruit 7
Adam May (Ben Close, 57mins: Kept ball well 7): Real mixed bag 6
Stuart O’Keefe: Continues to impress 8
Jamal Lowe: Wasted chances 6
Brett Pitman: Tried to influence 6
Matty Kennedy: So bright throughout 9
Conor Chaplin: Ball didn’t fall for him 7
Subs not used: Alex Bass, Curtis Main, Dion Donohue, Kal Naismith, Kyle Bennett, Drew Talbot
Matt Ingram: Superb late saves 8
Brendan Maloney: Did little wrong 7
Aaron Pierre: Towering presence 7
Ash Taylor: Saved by post from own goal 6
David Buchanan: Reliable full-back 7
Shaun McWilliams (Yaser Kasim, 29mins: So, so 6): Injury ended promising display 6
Matt Grimes: Caused problems from dead balls 8
Matt Crooks: Real driving presence 7
George Smith (Daniel Powell, 56mins: Tried to stem tide 6): Worked hard 6
Chris Long: Some lovely finishes 9
Alex Revell (Marc Richards, 78mins): Ran himself into the ground 7
Subs not used: David Cornell, Leon Barnett, Billy Waters, Regan Poole
• Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire): Did very well 8
• Attendance: 5,855 (1,153 away)
• Star man: Matty Kennedy: So bright on the ball, willing to work and always a threat down the left, while a wonderfully-struck shot brought him his maiden Pompey goal.
• We want him: Chris Long: Two good finishes from the striker capped a probing an energetic display as he capitalised on poor Pompey defending.
• We don’t want him: Yaser Kasim: An early introduction through injury but did little to effect the game, particularly when his team was put under severe pressure in the second half.
• Magic moment: Lovely strike from Kennedy gave Pompey hope early in the second half amid a spirited showing after the break, but unfortunately the visitors could not capitalise.
• Their manager: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: His side took advantage of Pompey’s defensive generosity, yet more importantly continued to remain in the game under second-half pressure.