Pompey 2 Ipswich Town 1

Pompey celebrate Marc McNulty's goal. Picture: Joe Pepler
Pompey celebrate Marc McNulty's goal. Picture: Joe Pepler
Have your say

Pompey took the scalp of Championship Ipswich Town with a 2-1 FA Cup win at Fratton Park tonight.

First-half goals from Gary Roberts and Marc McNulty earned a deserved third-round replay success for the Blues.

That sets up a date with Premier League Bournemouth at the end of the month for Paul Cook’s side.

Ipswich pulled a goal back from Ainsley Maitland-Niles against the run of play after 60 minutes.

But Pompey looked largely comfortable as Piotr Malarczyk was sent off with 13 minutes left.

The first half had a quick start with both sides having early chances.

First, a lovely touch from a long ball got Kyle Bennett clear but he was forced a little wide and his effort flashed across goal.

Then, after four minutes, Brett Pitman profited from a short headed backpass from Michael Doyle but lobbed his shot over the bar.

Pompey were having the better of it without creating clear chances until Adam Barton put McNulty clear after 31 minutes but Bartosz Bialkowski was equal to his effort.

That didn’t matter seconds later as Roberts was brought down by Malarczyk and he got up to dispatch the spot-kick.

It got better after 37 minutes thanks to the quality of Gareth Evans. He produced some lovely footwork and a delightful for cross for the unmarked McNulty to comfortably head home and put warranted daylight between the sides.

Pompey had a great chance to kill the game off four minutes after the restart as the lively Evans freed McNulty but Bialkowski won their duel.

Doyle then fired inches wide from 20 yards after a clever free-kick routine.

But the visitors then pulled a goal back against the run of play after 60 minutes when Maitland-Niles curled a 25-yarder past the helpless Murphy.

Then Pitman fired over after Luke Varney unsettled Christian Burgess, as the visitors had their best passage of the game.

Their hopes of a comeback stalled with 13 minutes left, though, as Malarczyk was sent off for a second booking after again fouling Roberts.

That ensured Cook’s side eased their way home through a mostly comfortable finale to the game.