Pompey back in relegation mix after defeat

Ricky Holmes is stopped in his tracks Picture: Joe Pepler
Ricky Holmes is stopped in his tracks Picture: Joe Pepler
Jamal Lowe celebrates his goal against Scunthorpe. Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey winger was a ‘wounded animal’ after dropping out of Football League

Have your say

Pompey found themselves dragged back into a League Two relegation dogfight as they went down 3-1 at Fleetwood today.

A Jon Parkin opener after 16 minutes and soft penalty converted by Antoni Sarcevic saw the Blues two behind at the interval.

It got worse after 56 minutes when Jamille Matt forced home a corner, before sub Jed Wallace impressively pulled one back from 20 yards.

Parkin’s strike saw Trevor Carson beaten for the first time in 411 minutes.

There was little in the way of threat at the other end, until Wallace pepped things up and ended 376 minutes without a goal for Richie Barker’s side.

The big team news was Jack Whatmough being handed a start in the middle of midfield.

He produced a composed display, but couldn’t stop his team falling to a defeat they could have no argument with – aside from that penalty.

It’s was poor defending for the opener after 16 minutes as a long throw sailed across Pompey’s box.

Carson saved the first shot well but there was no pressure on Parkin, who tucked away the loose ball.

Things got worse 10 minutes later when the home side were awarded a dubious penalty when Daniel Alfei challenged Josh Morris.

Ref Ian Williamson pointed to the spot, though, allowing Sarcevic to beat Carson.

Pompey had little chances of note before Fleetwood made it 3-0 in the 56th minute, when Matt forced the ball home as Pompey failed to deal with a corner.

The introduction of Wallace invigorated things up for the Blues, and it was the in-demand wide man who reduced the arrears in the 64th minute with a fine 20-yard drive.

Jake Jervis then couldn’t get enough purchase on his shot after another Wallace effort was blocked as Pompey sprung to life.

The visitors were bright over the finale, but it was too little too late for Barker’s side who find themselves in 19th place on 42 points – four points above the bottom two.