Pompey crash out of Trophy

Newport celebrate their first goal. Picture: Joe Pepler
Newport celebrate their first goal. Picture: Joe Pepler
Pompey suffered defeat at Southend. Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey boss pledges to resolve defensive issues

Have your say

Pompey went out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy with a whimper as they fell to an insipid 3-0 defeat to Newport County.

Two goals from the dangerous Conor Washington sandwiched either side of a Deji Oshilaja header made it a night to forget in Wales for Guy Whittingham’s side.

Newport were reduced to 10 men with 23 minutes to go – as David Pipe was sent off – but that made little difference as the Blues were outfought and out-thought by Justin Edinburgh’s side.

Pompey may have had their injury problems but that was no excuse with their League Two rivals missing 10 players.

It took five minutes for Pompey to fall behind in shoddy fashion.

A mix-up between Bondz N’Gala and Trevor Carson saw the defender head past the keeper and give Washington the easiest of tap-ins.

It took 13 minutes for the Blues to muster a shot – with Romain Padovani firing wide from distance.

Five minutes later the home side doubled their lead, however, through Oshilaja.

Padovani brought down Christian Jolley 25 yards out and Robbie Willmott cracked a swirving free-kick which Carson did well to save – but the Newport defender reacted quickest to nod home.

There was a melee in the Pompey box which almost led to a third from a corner before Carson leapt on the ball.

Pompey finally showed some threat 10 minutes before the break when Padovani headed Ricky Holmes’ cross over.

Then Holmes ended a flowing move in the 38th minute by firing at Jamie Stephens.

Shaun Cooper tried his luck from distance three minutes before the interval and wasn’t far off-target – but that failed to mask a lifeless first 45-minute display from the visitors.

Pompey upped things after the break and began to have the better of the chances.

A good cross saw Ryan Bird head just wide when well placed after 56 minutes.

Two minutes later Padovani hit a cracking volley from 35 yards which Stephens did well to keep out.

Newport should have wrapped it up after 61 minutes when Ismael Yakubu headed wide when totally unmarked.

The home side were reduced to 10 men six minutes later when skipper Pipe was given a straight red for a horrible two-footed lunge on Holmes.

That roused hopes of a fightback but instead it was the home side who put the game to bed with eight minutes left.

Joe Devera was turned and out-muscled by Washington who went on to fire past Carson.

That just about summed up Pompey’s night with the scoreline nothing more than the Blues deserved.