Pompey dumped out of Cup by Shots

Aldershot hero Mark Molesley and Pompey's Jed Wallace battle for the ball
Aldershot hero Mark Molesley and Pompey's Jed Wallace battle for the ball
Matt Clarke celebrates his goal at MK Dons. Picture: Joe Pepler

Five questions Pompey fans will want answered

Have your say

A scrambled Mark Molesley goal nine minutes from full-time dumped Pompey out of the FA Cup at non-league Aldershot tonight.

His effort, late in the Blues’ first-round replay at the Recreation Ground, proved enough to win a pulsating encounter screened live on TV.

And it was no more than the Vanarama Conference Premier side deserved as they bossed the second period after an end-to-end opening half.

The tone was set as early as 45 seconds into the game, when Jack Whatmough went close from a Ricky Holmes free-kick.

Aldershot quickly responded with Manny Oyeleke firing wide moments later before the returning Paul Robinson saw his header from a corner cleared off the line.

Both sides exchanged blows, with Glenn Wilson seeing his shot brilliantly blocked by Whatmough.

Meanwhile, Ryan Taylor dragged his shot wide after Holmes saw an effort well defended.

Holmes was proving a good outlet for Pompey and it was his jinking run which produced the Blues’ best moment of the half, with Wallace’s first-time volley brilliantly saved by former Fratton Park goalkeeper Phil Smith.

The hosts responded with Dan Holman somehow missing from two yards out at the back post, meaning the two teams went in level at half-time.

In the second half another fast-paced 45 minutes looked on the cards.

However, it was one-way traffic as far as Aldershot were concerned.

They dominated with Holman, Brett Williams, Molesley and Oyeleke all recording efforts on goal, while the Blues struggled to get into their hosts’ half.

It therefore came as no surprise when the Shots took the lead with the scrappiest of goals in the 81st minute.

The Blues failed to deal with a corner into the box. Shorey cleared off the line but the danger wasn’t over as Molesley fired the ball into the back of the net from a crowded Pompey penalty area.

Pompey responded by bringing on Miles Storey and Patrick Agyemang for Taylor and Craig Westcarr but their presence wasn’t enough to save the day as the Blues’ Cup woes continued.

The Fratton Park outfit have been winless in the competition since the semi-final win over Spurs in 2010.