Pompey fry Shrimps

Marcus Bean was handed his debut for the visit of the Shrimps Picture: Joe Pepler
Marcus Bean was handed his debut for the visit of the Shrimps Picture: Joe Pepler
Former Rotherham boss Kenny Jackett Picture: Bruce Rollinson

Pompey boss: No grudges on Rotherham return

Have your say

Pompey served up a second-half super show to trounce Morecambe 3-0 today.

Two Jed Wallace goals and a first-half opener from Craig Westcarr did the damage.

That eased the pressure on Andy Awford which had been growing in the wake of the FA Cup defeat to Aldershot.

And it was the first steps to erasing the hurt of that loss as the Blues tore the Shrimps apart.

There were fine displays all over the pitch from the likes of Wallace, Dan Butler, Miles Storey and new pair Marcus Bean and Matt Fish.

It was a bright start from Pompey and they made a deserved breakthrough after 11 minutes.

Westcarr was the man to do the damage as he got on the end of Danny Hollands’ long throw.

His initial shot was blocked but he made no mistake with his second effort, as he buried a low left-footed drive.

Whatmough then picked up a booking after hauling down lively veteran Kevin Ellison.

Ellison forced Jones into two saves in quick succession as he continued to put himself about.

Both new faces, Marcus Bean and Matt Fish, were looking bright although Bean picked up a yellow for thundering into Alan Goodall.

Jed Wallace almost doubled Pompey’s lead with a fine improvised chip on the turn from the edge of the box, five minutes before the break.

Westcarr acrobatically fired into Scott Davies’ arms as the home side finished the half strongly.

There was a let-off for the Blues right on half-time, though, as Whatmough failed to attack a lofted cross and Paul Mullin nipped in - but headed just over.

And it was a similar story after the restart as Mullin got clear, but Whatmough just managed to nick the ball off him and Jones pushed it to safety.

But Pompey grabbed a second after 59 minutes with a goal full of quality and searing pace.

Storey was the architect as he flew down the left and his cross was met in spectacular fashion by a flying Wallace header.

Taylor should have sealed the game after 59 minutes when he went clean through, but Davies just got a touch on his finish which rolled inches wide.

Butler then nearly opened his Pompey account after some fine interplay with Wallace, before the Isle of Wight left-back smashed a 30 yarder just wide.

The second goal had given Pompey a huge shot of confidence and they were carving out chance after chance.

Taylor was put clean through and had two attempts to score but Davies won the showdown on both occasions.

Wallace then fizzed a spectacular volley just over from a corner.

He got his second - and 10th of the campaign - with two minutes left, though, to round off a fine afternoon for Pompey.

That lifted the Blues to 10th in the table - four points off the play-offs.