Pompey held by 10-man Accy

  • Pompey draw 1-1 at Accrington
  • Ryan Taylor header cancels out Josh Windass opener
  • Anthony Barry sees red for Accy but hosts hold on for point
Have your say

Pompey were held to a 1-1 draw by 10-man Accrington Stanley today.

The Blues picked up ap oint at the Crown Ground but couldn’t grab all three against dogged Accy, who had Anthony Barry sent off in the 53rd minute

A superb Josh Windass free-kick after 16 minutes was cancelled out by Ryan Taylor’s header four minutes later.

There were chances aplenty in a frenetic first 45 minutes, but the balance of the game changed when Barry was given his marching orders.

Accrington were forced on to the back foot by the incident, and chances were then at a premium in front of a crowd of 1,944.

Pompey were never that close to getting the second goal, although Paul Robinson was furious he couldn’t force home a second-half corner.

Ryan Taylor celebrates his first-half header with team-mate James Dunne Picture: Joe Pepler

Ryan Taylor celebrates his first-half header with team-mate James Dunne Picture: Joe Pepler

Then Jed Wallace went close to being the late, late hero when he clipped the bar from 20 yards in stoppage time.

There were two changes for Pompey as James Dunne returned from suspension and replaced Nigel Atangana.

Jack Whatmough recovered from his shin injury to come in for the suspended Ben Chorley.

The first 45 minutes proved a breathless half with two goals and chances aplenty.

Accrington took the lead after 20 minutes after Dunne fouled Kal Naismith.

The execution from Windass was superb as he whipped his delivery over the wall and beat the helpless Paul Jones.

Danny Hollands’ flicked header was then cleared off the line before Pompey levelled through Taylor.

Scott Davies made a mess of his attempted catch from Dan Butler’s corner and Taylor bundled the ball home with his head.

Naismith then headed at Jones before Andy Procter volleyed a good chance wide after 30 minutes.

A huge let-off arrived for Pompey five minutes before the break, as Accy broke four on two but Naismith couldn’t prod the ball home at the far post.

There was still time for Rob Atkinson to have a header saved before Danny Hollands’ lobbed effort was cleared off the line.

Accrington were reduced to 10 men after eight minutes of the second half.

Barry’s challenge on Hollands was high and late and, although there was no malice involved, referee Rob Lewis issued the red card.

That changed the openness of the game with chances few and far between.

Pompey did have a flurry with 15 minutes left as Taylor fired at Davies.

Robinson was then furious with himself as he couldn’t force Wallace’s corner on target.

And sub Wes Fogden could quite direct his shot on target at the back post from Wallace’s cross.

There was then a melee in the box from Butler’s corner as Fogden and Craig Westcarr had shots blocked.

Wallace couldn’t win it at the death with a left-footed 20 yarder hitting the bar.

That left Pompey 10 points off the play-offs in 14th place.